OEM's RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

This may be a silly question but i've noticed something in one of my local shops whilst I was looking at some hardware.

They were selling OEM versions of Windows, is that actually legal? I thought they were only supplied with a new system. What i'm trying to say is, should I ignore it or do something about it, if it's illegal?

Thanks 

Saturday, April 29, 2006 5:08 PM

Answers

•  QuietOne wrote:

Hi

This may be a silly question but i've noticed something in one of my local shops whilst I was looking at some hardware.

They were selling OEM versions of Windows, is that actually legal? I thought they were only supplied with a new system. What i'm trying to say is, should I ignore it or do something about it, if it's illegal?

Thanks 

QuietOne:

Thanks for your observation! Please note, that small shops may be partner of a larger OEM like Compaq, Dell, HP, etc etc. - Of course, these may or may not be legitimate "OEM" copies of Windows.

Thanks for the inquiry,

-phil liu

Sunday, April 30, 2006 1:38 AM

All replies

•  QuietOne wrote:

Hi

Thanks 

QuietOne:

Thanks for your observation! Please note, that small shops may be partner of a larger OEM like Compaq, Dell, HP, etc etc. - Of course, these may or may not be legitimate "OEM" copies of Windows.

Thanks for the inquiry,

-phil liu

Sunday, April 30, 2006 1:38 AM
  •  Phil Liu MSFT wrote:
    Please note, that small shops may be partner of a larger OEM like Compaq, Dell, HP, etc etc. - Of course, these may or may not be legitimate "OEM" copies of Windows.
    Dear Phil,

within the context of QuietOne's question, it is completely irrelevant whether that shop is a partner of any OEM. The question is this: suppose the copies they sell are real OEM packs — is it legal for that shop to sell them?

As far as I understand, OEM versions of operating systems may be sold in that way, if the buyer also buys certain hardware components. The buyer is considered in such case "an OEM who manufactures a PC for his own use", and he/she buys an OEM version without any support. It is not 100% clear for me, however, what exactly falls under the category of "non-peripheral hardware components" he/she should buy in order to be entitled to buy the OEM version of Windows with those components.

Friday, July 28, 2006 10:03 PM
  • Maksym:

Yes, its legal as long as they follow the terms of use for OEM software.

OEM software MUST be sold pre-packaged with hardware (one of the many requirements). One example would be to go to www.newegg.com and see how they license OEM copies.

For the fullest details, I would checkout www.microsoft.com to find complete OEM licensing practices.

I hope this gives some insight though,

-phil

Saturday, July 29, 2006 1:38 AM
  • they are in control ! They are blocking yopur access ,using blue tooth
    Wednesday, August 9, 2006 11:37 PM