My Home Server is going down the tubes :( RRS feed

• Question

• Everything was running great on PP1 RC4 but I noticed I had 1.6GB being used for backups that I wanted to get rid of and disk cleanup didn't seem to be doing the trick.  Stupid Me I should have left it alone.

I followed these steps which completely hosed my WHS.   It is my own fault.  Not pointing blame just looking for the best route going forward.

However, as some have posted, sometimes the cleanup fails, as it just sits doing nothing, and here's how to fix it if nothing else works:

(NOTE: you will lose all backups)
    1) Exit then uninstall the connector sw on the client(s)
    2) RDP to the desktop and run the Windows Home Server Console
    3) In the computers and backups section, remove the client(s) (this will claim to delete the backups but it wont)
    4) Open Windows Explorer and navigate to D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}
    5) Manually delete all files
    6) Reboot WHS
    7) Log back into the WHS Console and select Settings - Backups then run "Cleanup Now" (this will reset the error)
    8) Navigate to \\YOURSERVER\Software\Home Server Connector Software
    9) Run setup.exe to reinstall the connector software
    10) From the connector console select Configure Backup for each client installed.

When the machine came back online 2 of my drives were reporting as missing, only were not missing.  They are in disk management just fine but reporting as unallocated disks!! That is correct they no longer are formatted as NTFS which means there is no chance at recovering files from the DE folder.

Duplication is enabled for all my shares across 7 drives so the ammount of files I am going to lose may or may not be that bad depending on what files overlap those 2 drives.

I removed the first drive with no problems it was a 250gb drive.    It reported a handful of music files as being lost and that is not big deal i can re rip those disks.   

The 1TB drive which shows as missing will not remove.   I let it run for about 22 hours and it just sat there at the remove window.     I then rebooted WHS and I am running the remove again, but I am not so sure it is doing anything....

What do you guys recommend I do now?    At this point the drive has lost its NTFS partition so I know data may be lost I just want to try and keep WHS as clean as possible and get this drive out of the pool.

Thanks
    FLAD
    Tuesday, July 8, 2008 7:49 PM

All replies

• I think it may be doing something actually....   The latest DEutil log looks like it is creating "AddShadow" statements for some .ISO movie files.   This 1TB drive was packed so maybe its just going to take a while??    Some better real time reporting of what is happening from the WHS console would be nice....

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 8:31 PM
  •  fladtheimpaler wrote:
    What do you guys recommend I do now?    At this point the drive has lost its NTFS partition so I know data may be lost I just want to try and keep WHS as clean as possible and get this drive out of the pool.

FLAD,

(*Sjeezz..*)

I would do as you are doing now. Since there is no data to salvage from the non-NTFS drives, letting WHS try to recover from this would be my best option. Sure would like to know how these two drive lose NTFS?

Good luck!

Theo.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 9:48 PM
  • Disk removal completed on the 1TB drive.   All other drives are now reading as 99% full, but all the shares read as healthy (duplication is enabled for all shares).

I had re added the 1TB drive to the pool.  

Previously the Chart read Shared Folders (1.5TB) Duplication (1.5TB)

Now it reads Shared Folder (1.5TB) Duplication (1.3TB)

This looks promising....

Is there any way I  can verify what files (if any) I have lost in this ordeal?  

I think there are some utils out there but I am gun shy about running anything on PP1 RC4.

Tuesday, July 8, 2008 10:47 PM
  •  fladtheimpaler wrote:
    Disk removal completed on the 1TB drive.   All other drives are now reading as 99% full, but all the shares read as healthy (duplication is enabled for all shares).

I had re added the 1TB drive to the pool.  

Previously the Chart read Shared Folders (1.5TB) Duplication (1.5TB)

Now it reads Shared Folder (1.5TB) Duplication (1.3TB)

This looks promising....

Is there any way I  can verify what files (if any) I have lost in this ordeal?  

I think there are some utils out there but I am gun shy about running anything on PP1 RC4.

The only thing I can think of is the Windows Home Server Cleanup Tool by catsaver.  However, I don't know if that's been tested with PP1 beta or not.

Wednesday, July 9, 2008 4:53 AM
  • Kariya

I reviewed the tool, and it seems pretty harmless.  I ran it on a small share and it seemed to work and best yet it didnt find any files in need of attention.

Thanks Buddy

Flad
    Wednesday, July 9, 2008 12:40 PM