Will it run TFS 2012 Express? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi guys

I'm looking at getting a home development server.  I was just wondering if WHS 2011 will run TFS 2012 Express?

Thanks

Mark

Thursday, August 16, 2012 9:34 PM

Answers

• Yes, it will run WHS 2011.  I have it running on my installation of WHS 2011 so far with absolutely no issues.  TFS 2012 is not only for TechNet/MSDN subscribers but is available for all users through Microsoft's web site. (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/downloads#tfs-express)

Btw, it was also designed to run on Windows 7 SP1 which is also not considered a development server platform.

• Edited by dredman Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:45 PM Additional information
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:28 AM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:31 PM
  • Windows Home Server isn't a "home development server". For that type of use, I would recommend Windows Server 2008 R2. I don't recommend Technet software, as that is for evaluation only, per this statement from Microsoft (emphasis added):

"The software provided with TechNet Subscriptions is designed for hands-on IT Professionals to evaluate Microsoft software and plan deployments. The software provided in TechNet Subscriptions can be used for evaluation purposes only. The software provided with MSDN Subscriptions is for design, development, testing, and demonstration of your programs."

The second sentence seems to suggest MSDN as a source, but that's pretty pricey for an individual hobbyist. (If it's for professional use, and you do a lot of Microsoft development, you might already have an MSDN subscription.)

You could probably proceed with Windows Home Server, but please understand that it's not designed for the use you propose, and so you may find that the changes required to use it the way you desire may break core Windows Home Server-specific functionality. There will be little advice for getting it working as Windows Home Server again available beyond "reinstall from scratch".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, August 17, 2012 5:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:47 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 1:24 AM

All replies

• Windows Home Server isn't a "home development server". For that type of use, I would recommend Windows Server 2008 R2. I don't recommend Technet software, as that is for evaluation only, per this statement from Microsoft (emphasis added):

"The software provided with TechNet Subscriptions is designed for hands-on IT Professionals to evaluate Microsoft software and plan deployments. The software provided in TechNet Subscriptions can be used for evaluation purposes only. The software provided with MSDN Subscriptions is for design, development, testing, and demonstration of your programs."

The second sentence seems to suggest MSDN as a source, but that's pretty pricey for an individual hobbyist. (If it's for professional use, and you do a lot of Microsoft development, you might already have an MSDN subscription.)

You could probably proceed with Windows Home Server, but please understand that it's not designed for the use you propose, and so you may find that the changes required to use it the way you desire may break core Windows Home Server-specific functionality. There will be little advice for getting it working as Windows Home Server again available beyond "reinstall from scratch".

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

• Proposed as answer by James Xiong Friday, August 17, 2012 5:39 AM
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:47 AM
    Friday, August 17, 2012 1:24 AM
  • Yes, it will run WHS 2011.  I have it running on my installation of WHS 2011 so far with absolutely no issues.  TFS 2012 is not only for TechNet/MSDN subscribers but is available for all users through Microsoft's web site. (http://www.microsoft.com/visualstudio/11/en-us/downloads#tfs-express)

Btw, it was also designed to run on Windows 7 SP1 which is also not considered a development server platform.

• Edited by dredman Saturday, August 18, 2012 10:45 PM Additional information
    • Marked as answer by James Xiong Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:28 AM
    Saturday, August 18, 2012 9:31 PM