Turning Wireless Network on and Off RRS feed

• Question

• I don't want my Thinkpad to be looking for wireless networks automatically, since I mostly use it at home on a cable and don't like the vulnerability to someone driving down the street looking for signals. I see how to turn wireless networks off using Windows Firewall, but that feature is disabled with Onecare. How can I easily turn wireless networks on and off using Windows Onecare?

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:49 PM

Answers

• This isn't a firewall function, but a function of the network adapter. Some PCs have a switch to turn the wireless adapter on or off. Note that having it on does not mean that others can connect to your PC.

To disable the wireless connection in Windows, in Vista, go to the Network and Sharing Center from Control Panel, then Manage Network Connections, right click on the wireless network connection and select Disable. In XP, right click on My Network Places on the Start menu and select Properties. Then, right click the wireless connection, select properties and select disable.

-steve

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:52 PM

All replies

• This isn't a firewall function, but a function of the network adapter. Some PCs have a switch to turn the wireless adapter on or off. Note that having it on does not mean that others can connect to your PC.

To disable the wireless connection in Windows, in Vista, go to the Network and Sharing Center from Control Panel, then Manage Network Connections, right click on the wireless network connection and select Disable. In XP, right click on My Network Places on the Start menu and select Properties. Then, right click the wireless connection, select properties and select disable.

-steve

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:52 PM
  • I am on XP. I already tried that and received an error message: "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. The connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug and Play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account." My interpretation is that the "system account" is Onecare. Ignore the other post; I initially could not find my first post. I have two-year-old Thinkpad.

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 7:32 PM
  • What model ThinkPad do you have? I thought that they had a switch to enable/disable WiFi. I had a T42 at work that didn't have a WiFi card installed, but it had a Function key combination - the blue key and one of the keys in the upper row - to do this. I now have a T61 and it has a switch on the front edge of the PC to turn it on or off.

OneCare would not force the WiFi to be enabled. I'm not sure why you were not able to shut it off in network properties. You might want to check with Lenovo support on that, particularly if you have no need for it. On the other hand, your PC is not vulnerable to an inbound connection via the WiFi adapter unless it is advertising an open Ad-Hoc connection, which is unlikely.

-steve

Thursday, June 19, 2008 1:18 AM