MCDBA and MCITP certification RRS feed

• Question

• just want to inquire to know the latest exam one needs to become a MCDBA or MCITP. i have read from the Microsoft site but most of the exams for mcdba are retired and i cant any info if its been replaced with anything. i get confused with some of the things regarding the MCITP it looks as if its not for beginners. any insight will be helpful thanks in advance

note am just a beginner.

Friday, June 3, 2011 8:50 AM

Answers

• Hi,

MCDBA is for older versions of SQL Server (pre 2005) and has been retired.

If you are beginner look at the MCTS exam for DBA's this is part of the requirement to become an MCITP.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-432&locale=en-us

There is a similar exam for SQL 2005 but I would do the SQL 2008 version unless you are only working on 2005.

Studying for this will improve your knowledge, it may be worth waiting until you have more experience before taking the exam but the study will give you a good idea when you a ready.

I recommend classes if you can afford them or the Microsoft Training guide for 70-432 if not, this includes questions so you can guage you level of understanding.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Friday, June 3, 2011 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:21 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 11:00 AM

All replies

• Hi,

MCDBA is for older versions of SQL Server (pre 2005) and has been retired.

If you are beginner look at the MCTS exam for DBA's this is part of the requirement to become an MCITP.

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-432&locale=en-us

There is a similar exam for SQL 2005 but I would do the SQL 2008 version unless you are only working on 2005.

Studying for this will improve your knowledge, it may be worth waiting until you have more experience before taking the exam but the study will give you a good idea when you a ready.

I recommend classes if you can afford them or the Microsoft Training guide for 70-432 if not, this includes questions so you can guage you level of understanding.

Kind Regards,

Ozzy Geoff

• Proposed as answer by Geoff Clark MCM Friday, June 3, 2011 11:00 AM
    • Marked as answer by Rubel Khan Tuesday, June 21, 2011 7:21 AM
    Friday, June 3, 2011 11:00 AM
  • Ozzy thanks for the help, what i now ask from you and others is this. i dont work with any of these things. at the moment am just teachning the office applications. my interest is to become a database developer or an administrator in it. can you kindly advice if the MCTYS is the beginning place.do i need the compTIA certification befor the MCTS and then mCITP. more assistance will help me start the carrer path thnks a lot
    Saturday, June 4, 2011 10:05 AM
  • The MCTS is the place for you to begin.
    Jeff Wharton
    MSysDev (C.Sturt), MDbDsgnMgt (C.Sturt) MCT, MCPD, MCITP, MCDBA
    Blog: Mr. Wharty's Ramblings
    Please mark solved if I've answered your question, vote for it as helpful to help other user's find a solution quicker
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 10:26 AM