Restore a WHS backup of my laptop after replacing the existing hard drive to a larger capacity drive RRS feed

• Question

• My Gateway M-6843 laptop with a 150 GB hardrive is running out of storage space.  I want to replace the existing 150 GB hard drive with a 500 GB drive.  My question is this:

After installation of the new hard drive, will I be able to use the Restore CD to re-install the operating system and all of the programs and files that are located on my WHS for this laptop to the new, larger drive?

Or will I need to install the new, larger drive, re-install the operating system, then use the Restore CD to bring back my programs and data files?

Thanks,

Gene-MMCMSW

Friday, December 3, 2010 3:09 AM

Answers

• You can use the restore CD to restore to the new drive, without having to install anything first. You'll probably have to create a partition on the drive first, though. To do that you could connect it to another computer and just format it.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by Gene-MMCMSW Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:24 PM
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:45 AM
  • Restoring first with the vendor recovery disk and using the Restore CD after that (download the most current version, if you have not already done) will help you in case there is a hidden partition on the disk for vendor specific stuff, which is not part of the normal backup cycle.

If such volume exists, you may have to go through some more steps otherwise after restore to a fresh desk without such volume to get it bootable again. Depends from the OS (i.e. in XP edit boot.ini, in Vista/Win 7 try your luck with startup repair in this case, also may have to set the proper volume to active).

If the disk is already connected to a WHS client computer as second disk, you can also use it's clientrestorewizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server instead of the recovery CD to restore the backup to the new disk. This eliminates often network issues with Vista PE on certain hardware platforms.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, December 3, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Hi, Great info on the clientrestorewizard! 

Question:

I am going the opposite direction: I want to restore just the programs and OS not the data... i have a 1tb drive that has a total of 500gb OS, Programs and data on the drive.  I want to restore to a 160GB drive, just the OS and programs because i have centralized the data to the server.  However my backups include 400+GB of my itunes files - which are now centralized on the WHS and read from the WHS. 

it appears the OS and Programs occupy 30-40 gb of space so the 160GB drive would accomodate the OS+Programs but not the data.  Once it is restored, i would create virtual links to the WHS data shares...

Any ideas?

Friday, December 10, 2010 7:43 PM
  • You won't be able to do this, for a couple of reasons.

First, restoring so that you can boot requires you to use the restore CD or clientrestorewizard.exe, which restores a disk as an image. This means that you will get the whole disk, with no opportunity to restore less than that.

Second, restoring to a disk smaller than the original will generally not work, due to the way Windows stores files on disk and the way Windows Home Server backs up and restores them. The very best case is that you would be able to restore to a disk that's slightly more than half the size of the original, however if the disk has been in service for any length of time you will usually not be able to do even that. A workaround is to shrink the partition first (using your choice of partition management software, including tools included in Windows), to eliminate most free space, then back it up again, then restore that backup to the smaller disk.

• Marked as answer by Gene-MMCMSW Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:23 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:17 PM

All replies

• You can use the restore CD to restore to the new drive, without having to install anything first. You'll probably have to create a partition on the drive first, though. To do that you could connect it to another computer and just format it.
    Friday, December 3, 2010 4:45 AM
  • Restoring first with the vendor recovery disk and using the Restore CD after that (download the most current version, if you have not already done) will help you in case there is a hidden partition on the disk for vendor specific stuff, which is not part of the normal backup cycle.

If such volume exists, you may have to go through some more steps otherwise after restore to a fresh desk without such volume to get it bootable again. Depends from the OS (i.e. in XP edit boot.ini, in Vista/Win 7 try your luck with startup repair in this case, also may have to set the proper volume to active).

If the disk is already connected to a WHS client computer as second disk, you can also use it's clientrestorewizard.exe from C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server instead of the recovery CD to restore the backup to the new disk. This eliminates often network issues with Vista PE on certain hardware platforms.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Friday, December 3, 2010 7:11 AM
  • Hi, Great info on the clientrestorewizard! 

Question:

I am going the opposite direction: I want to restore just the programs and OS not the data... i have a 1tb drive that has a total of 500gb OS, Programs and data on the drive.  I want to restore to a 160GB drive, just the OS and programs because i have centralized the data to the server.  However my backups include 400+GB of my itunes files - which are now centralized on the WHS and read from the WHS. 

it appears the OS and Programs occupy 30-40 gb of space so the 160GB drive would accomodate the OS+Programs but not the data.  Once it is restored, i would create virtual links to the WHS data shares...

Any ideas?

Friday, December 10, 2010 7:43 PM
  • You won't be able to do this, for a couple of reasons.

First, restoring so that you can boot requires you to use the restore CD or clientrestorewizard.exe, which restores a disk as an image. This means that you will get the whole disk, with no opportunity to restore less than that.

Second, restoring to a disk smaller than the original will generally not work, due to the way Windows stores files on disk and the way Windows Home Server backs up and restores them. The very best case is that you would be able to restore to a disk that's slightly more than half the size of the original, however if the disk has been in service for any length of time you will usually not be able to do even that. A workaround is to shrink the partition first (using your choice of partition management software, including tools included in Windows), to eliminate most free space, then back it up again, then restore that backup to the smaller disk.

• Marked as answer by Gene-MMCMSW Tuesday, January 18, 2011 4:23 PM
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:17 PM