none
Vista Home Premium OEMact build 6002 no longer genuine RRS feed

• Question

• Our copy of Vista is no longer working. We have no access after booting, the desktop is black, there is no taskbar, the windows button does not work, at the lower right of the screen is the message that build 6002 is not genuine - I can assure you it is, our machine is an Acer Aspire M1201 purchased at a High Street outlet (Curry's). There is a sticker on the case containing the product key which, I input when trying to repair using a friends Vista disc, upon input of the key te report claimed it was not valid.

The only operation I have had success with is Ctrl - Alt - Del to bring up Task Manager.

We do have Avast installed.

I cannot call Microsoft for assistance as all options tell me to run the activation tool to obtain a phone number - I only have a black screen with no access to or control of the OS.

I'd appreciate any assistance on this issue as at this moment in time I am seriously considering buying a Mac!!!

Yours,

David Dixon.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:09 AM

Answers

• Noel,

Many thanks for your help, unfortunately I can't do a system restore beyond lunchtime today, I was however able to restore UniBlue Registry Booster back to the beginning of May. I have tried booting in Normal Mode but, I still can't do anything, still just a black screen.

I do admire your perseverance to fix the problem however, I've now reached the point where it is no longer cost effective for me to pursue the solution. I therefore have purchased a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Full.

I do thank you for your help however, I am hugely disappointed that this has been the only avenue of Help available, the lack of a telephone number even for manual activation I find extremely strange.

Again many thanks Noel.

David Dixon.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Noel,

Many thanks for your help, unfortunately I can't do a system restore beyond lunchtime today, I was however able to restore UniBlue Registry Booster back to the beginning of May. I have tried booting in Normal Mode but, I still can't do anything, still just a black screen.

I do admire your perseverance to fix the problem however, I've now reached the point where it is no longer cost effective for me to pursue the solution. I therefore have purchased a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Full.

I do thank you for your help however, I am hugely disappointed that this has been the only avenue of Help available, the lack of a telephone number even for manual activation I find extremely strange.

Again many thanks Noel.

David Dixon.

Well - that's certainly one way to fix the problem :)

Good Luck!

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    • Marked as answer by ddoc Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:50 PM
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:03 PM

All replies

• Our copy of Vista is no longer working. We have no access after booting, the desktop is black, there is no taskbar, the windows button does not work, at the lower right of the screen is the message that build 6002 is not genuine - I can assure you it is, our machine is an Acer Aspire M1201 purchased at a High Street outlet (Curry's). There is a sticker on the case containing the product key which, I input when trying to repair using a friends Vista disc, upon input of the key te report claimed it was not valid.

The only operation I have had success with is Ctrl - Alt - Del to bring up Task Manager.

We do have Avast installed.

I cannot call Microsoft for assistance as all options tell me to run the activation tool to obtain a phone number - I only have a black screen with no access to or control of the OS.

I'd appreciate any assistance on this issue as at this moment in time I am seriously considering buying a Mac!!!

Yours,

David Dixon.

Boot to Safe Mode with networking - Uninstall Avast using their uninstaller, then download and run their removal tool. Reboot to Normal Mode - with any luck your system will now be functional.

--

Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:16 AM
  • Thanks Noel,

I have uninstalled Avast as per your instructions however, when rebooting in Normal Mode, I still am presented with the black screen (no control) and the non genuine message still at the bottom right.

I note that when in safe mode with networking a window appeared advising activation needs to be completed however it states this should be done in Normal Mode!

Also, when booting in Normal Mode, at the welcome screen I receive three application error warnings:

SLUI.exe

Explorer.exe

PctsTray.exe

Hopefully you can advise further? as I still cannot boot into Normal Mode which means I can't activate.

For what it's worth the version of Avast was 5.1
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 11:50 AM
  • Thanks Noel,

I have uninstalled Avast as per your instructions however, when rebooting in Normal Mode, I still am presented with the black screen (no control) and the non genuine message still at the bottom right.

I note that when in safe mode with networking a window appeared advising activation needs to be completed however it states this should be done in Normal Mode!

Also, when booting in Normal Mode, at the welcome screen I receive three application error warnings:

SLUI.exe

Explorer.exe

PctsTray.exe

Hopefully you can advise further? as I still cannot boot into Normal Mode which means I can't activate.

For what it's worth the version of Avast was 5.1

Oh dear - you have PCTools installed?? Have you been using the registry cleaner function?

Do you have the option to use Internet Explorer in Normal Mode?
    If so,
    go to  http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response (or into a notepad window to save it to USB/disk).
     There's not really any point running the tool in Safe Mode, as the errors we're likely to see would be masked.

--

Sunday, June 12, 2011 1:49 PM
  • Re PCTools, there is a program published by PC Tools called Spyware Doctor 7.0 installed, there is also a program called UniBlue Registry Booster installed.

In Normal Mode I cannot do or access anything, I cannot go online in Normal Mode.

Would I be better off installing a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade?

Sunday, June 12, 2011 2:25 PM
  • Re PCTools, there is a program published by PC Tools called Spyware Doctor 7.0 installed, there is also a program called UniBlue Registry Booster installed.

In Normal Mode I cannot do or access anything, I cannot go online in Normal Mode.

Would I be better off installing a new copy of Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade?

I'm not admitting defeat this early in the game:)
    I'm not a fan of PCTools software - but Spyware Doctor isn't too bad. Uniblue Registry Booster, on the other hand, is a lethal piece of scareware. If you've used that in the recent past, then you should attempt to UNDO whatever it's done - hopefully it has an undo function that will work in Safe Mode.
    If you've not used it - or if you have managed to undo what it did, then you should uninstall it as soon a possible (which may have to wait until the system is working again).

From Safe Mode, try using System Restore to go back to a point about 3 days before the problem surfaced.
    Note that this will partially reinstall Avast - so you you'll need to run the removal tool again afterwards.

Assuming the System Restore functions properly, you should be able to access Normal Mode again - post back with an MGADiag report if so. To properly analyse and solve problems with Activation and Validation, we need to see a full copy of the report produced by the MGADiag tool (download and save to desktop - http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 )
    Once saved, run the tool.
    Click on the Continue button, which will produce the report.
    To copy the report to your response, click on the Copy button in the tool (ignore any error messages at this point), and then paste (using either r-click/Paste, or Ctrl+V ) into your response.

--

Sunday, June 12, 2011 3:04 PM
  • Noel,

Again many thanks Noel.

David Dixon.

Sunday, June 12, 2011 4:34 PM
  • Noel,

Again many thanks Noel.

David Dixon.

Well - that's certainly one way to fix the problem :)

Good Luck!

--

• Marked as answer by ddoc Sunday, June 12, 2011 10:50 PM
    Sunday, June 12, 2011 5:03 PM