Comm Surrogate Error when Connector software starts automatic backup to server RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running WHS since December of last year on an HP MediaSmart server.  I back up four machines, 2 with Windows XP Professional (a laptop & a desktop), 1 with desktop Windows XP Home, 1 laptop with Vista Business.  For the past month, the desktop with Windows XP Home will not run a backup automatically.

I get a message that the Comm Surrogate has failed and has to close, and a choice to notify MS or not.  If I continue to click "No" for 24 times, the backup will run.  If I'm not around, the backup won't run.

Same thing if I try to run manually.  Error message pops up and I need to close it 24 times before the backup will run.

The only thing I can think of that has fundamentally changed on this machine is the installation of Media Player 11, which happened some time before the problem started to occur.

Where should I look for error logs to diagnose this problem?  My understanding from Google searches is that Vista has Comm Surrogate errors with bad codecs, but haven't found much discussion of these errors occurring with XP Home.  I did search the registry for instances of DLLSurrogate to see if they point to a non-existant program or something, but they all have N/A as their value.

Can anyone give me a procedure for troubleshooting this problem?

Tx!

Frank
    Friday, October 24, 2008 10:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Frank,
    do you have any version of Nero installed? Some of those bring older video codecs, which may cause the problem according to some sources.
    If you have a system restore point going back to the time before the first appearance, try that.
    You could also try a restore of that partition with your Windows Home Server. But be aware, that all upgraded data and programs on that partition may only be available through the WHS backups after doing such restore for a limited time.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Friday, October 24, 2008 10:56 PM