Sharing photo folder, (mainly win 7)? RRS feed

• General discussion

• As I'm new to WHS I have a few questions regarding how to set it all up.
    As I do have a few computers and a few users on the network, what is the best practice with photos, movies etc. as we have a wide range of desktops, notebooks etc which we would like to sync to the whs, what's the best practice with things we'd like to share?

I have all my photos from back in 1998 when I bought my first digital camera stored on my desktop (my photos, win7) and would love this to go into the photo share on the whs. I'd also like to have all photos from the other computers into the same share.
    However, as I understand it, when I do a backup, I get a copy of my photos stored under my user files on the server, but it's not in the photo share.
    As far as I understand, I could create sub folders to this share for each computer and map the my photos folder to the share and turn on the offline thingy on the notebooks, and then turn off backup for these folders. But what's the best way to do this but at the same time reduce the redundancy on the server?
    I have noticed that there's a way to include folders to the library in win 7, is this a good thing?
    How do you guys solve this?

I suppose this would be the same deal for music and movies too?

And yes, I have an xbox360 and I'm planning to use it every now and then to show slides, movies etc...

• Changed type Bjurran Monday, December 28, 2009 5:53 PM
    Monday, December 28, 2009 5:52 PM

All replies

• As I'm new to WHS I have a few questions regarding how to set it all up.
    As I do have a few computers and a few users on the network, what is the best practice with photos, movies etc. as we have a wide range of desktops, notebooks etc which we would like to sync to the whs, what's the best practice with things we'd like to share?

I have all my photos from back in 1998 when I bought my first digital camera stored on my desktop (my photos, win7) and would love this to go into the photo share on the whs. I'd also like to have all photos from the other computers into the same share.
    However, as I understand it, when I do a backup, I get a copy of my photos stored under my user files on the server, but it's not in the photo share.

No.  Backups of your clients are completely separate from the data in the server shares.  The backup files are accessible only through the Console.

As far as I understand, I could create sub folders to this share for each computer and map the my photos folder to the share and turn on the offline thingy on the notebooks, and then turn off backup for these folders.

You should not use Offline Files on WHS (other users have had issues due to the way WHS handles files in the background).

But what's the best way to do this but at the same time reduce the redundancy on the server?

That's really personal preference.  I keep all my photos on my server in the Photos share with Folder Duplication enabled on that share and that share backed up online as well.

I have noticed that there's a way to include folders to the library in win 7, is this a good thing?

It doesn't really change anything (other than it makes your server shares part of your library on your 7 client).

How do you guys solve this?

I suppose this would be the same deal for music and movies too?

And yes, I have an xbox360 and I'm planning to use it every now and then to show slides, movies etc...

I've taken the my-server-is-the-master-of-my-domain approach (meaning I store all of my data on my server).  When I need a file from my server, I can get to it from anywhere (including on the road through the Remote Access website).
    Tuesday, December 29, 2009 3:07 AM
  • Thank you to Bjurran for asking this question and to Kariya21 for answering it ... I had exactly the same question. I recently built a new Win7 computer and turned the old XP desktop into a WHS. I was looking at the HP WHS manual and noticed that the HP version offers a feature called Media Collector. It seems this feature locates and copies media files into the WHS share files.

My question was whether this was a preferrable method: copy the files rather than move. Also, I could not find an add-in that was similar to the HP Media Collector that would continuously search and sync my media.

I like Kariya21's approach of "my-server-is-the-master-of-my-domain" and I plan to move all my media files to my WHS, turn on duplication, and also set up online back-up.

Any suggestions for which online backup to use?
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:04 PM