ROBOCOPY Scripting RRS feed

• Question

• Hello Guys,

I have one situation to make back up with Robocopy.

Source Folder

destination folder

I want to make robocopy script here is my Condition.

* make backup from source to destination folder.

* Run this command every day with windows Schedular..(Think this i can do.).

* After First time of back, whenever Robocopy scripts run only copy changes to Destination folder.

* Main Problem which i have: If file is deleted at source folder then this file should not be deleted at the destination.

but if there is any new file which is created at Source folder then it should be updated at destination folder.

thanks

• Moved by Bill_Stewart Monday, October 27, 2014 3:52 PM This is not an OS command training forum
    Friday, August 15, 2014 1:59 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Skip robocopy and use one of these instead:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/is-freefilesync-better-sync-software-than-microsoft-synctoy-windows/

If you do decide to use robocopy, you should ask about it in the forum for your particular OS instead of here.

Good luck.

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

Friday, August 15, 2014 2:05 AM
  • Thanks Alot Mike,

These tools look really good and powerful but i even want to know about RObocopy command for situation i mentioned.

thanks

really i will of course use one if these tools.

Friday, August 15, 2014 2:42 AM
  • Are you having problems with robocopy deleting files in the destination? That shouldn't happen by default (see /XX).

http://ss64.com/nt/robocopy.html

Don't retire TechNet! - (Don't give up yet - 12,950+ strong and growing)

Friday, August 15, 2014 3:05 AM
  • Hello Guys,

I have one situation to make back up with Robocopy.

Source Folder

destination folder

I want to make robocopy script here is my Condition.

* make backup from source to destination folder.

* Run this command every day with windows Schedular..(Think this i can do.).

* After First time of back, whenever Robocopy scripts run only copy changes to Destination folder.

* Main Problem which i have: If file is deleted at source folder then this file should not be deleted at the destination.

but if there is any new file which is created at Source folder then it should be updated at destination folder.

Once again... This is a scripting forum.  It is not a RoboCopy support forum.  We do not support system utilities.  You need to post in the system forum for your OS.  Each version on each OS can have subtle differences.  No versions are scripts or script oriented.

You can also read the help carefully and it will tell you hwo and what you can do.

RoboCopy is not a tool for technically challenged people.  It requires that a tech know how to test a program to determine how it works and to determine how to use it in any particular situation.  You need to learn how to do this and learn how to post in the correct forum.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Friday, August 15, 2014 3:12 AM