none
Do you use Wireless in your WHS? RRS feed

• General discussion

•  

I am thinking about adding a Draft N wireless card to my WHS build.  I recently picked up a Draft N router, and a I love the speed I have gained from it with my new laptop.  Are there any cons to have it run wirelessly vs hard wired?
    Monday, August 11, 2008 3:06 PM

All replies

• Hi,

It's not advised to install WiFi in the server. Microsoft recommend against it as well.

No matter how good the connection, there is no way that more than one Client will be able to access/stream to/from the server. The best system there is, will only run at a fraction of a slow wired connection.  Also, the slightest hiccup in the data stream, which is highly likely, could cause corruption.

Colin

Monday, August 11, 2008 5:09 PM
  •  

As Colin already mentioned - it is not supported by Microsoft to use a WLAN adapter for the server.

Besides random effects (maybe you have an electrical device in your home - or worse, your neighbour has it, which interacts with the WLAN frequency if powered on) you may also face the fact, that there are often no Windows Server 2003 drivers for the adapter. Even if you manage to install the Windows XP drivers, there is no guarantee, that they will work reliable with a server OS.

WLAN is convenient - but still has its limits in context of reliability and performance compared to wire.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 5:53 PM
  • I have this set up

cable modem > B/G wireless Router > gig switch >Clients (pc1, pcs2, bluray, xbox)

I do back up to my laptop over wireless G, but my main connection tot he server is via the gig switch and my desktops.

Personally, anything more than surfing the net, or standard back ups, i hook up my laptop to a free gig port on the switch

Tuesday, August 12, 2008 8:13 PM
  • IMO you can put it in there if you want even though as everybody says its not supported. but one thing i will warn you. when your tryin to copy some giant 1080p HD 10 gig movie dont come crying to everyone else saying why are the transfer speed so unbarabley slow. i had wireless in it. it was the belkin n1 vision one of the best ones out on the market about 6 months ago. and holy  *** i was getting 1.5 mb transfer speed on wireless from my server. when i switch to a gig switch im getting on avg about 40 mb upload and 30 mb dl
    Wednesday, August 13, 2008 7:46 AM
  • It's even more funny, if you transfer a bigger amount of data (large file) and the connection fails. Since the explorer has no Resume function, all efforts for the copy job may be lost.

Best greetings from Germany

Olaf

Wednesday, August 13, 2008 2:51 PM