2 admin accounts RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was copying some files over to my WHS and stupidly copied to the wrong dir which happened to be on the SYS volume and it completely filled up.

On the server it gave me the message to say disk was full and did I want to free up some space I clicked yes and it came back with TEMP dir files, etc and I choose to delete them. Anyway the next time the server rebooted after MSFT updates a strange thing had happened I could login to the server as Administrator and my Desktop had changed and if I went to my documents it looked like everything had gone

Further investigation showed that for some strange reason another administrator account had been created. Called 'Administrator.SERVER' (SERVER being the name of my WHS) and since then I've been unable to open WHS Console, and programs that used to work before like Adobe acrobat no longer work.

What has happened? and can anyone suggest a solution please?

Thanks

Friday, December 31, 2010 8:06 PM

All replies

• bump
    Sunday, January 2, 2011 9:26 PM
  • Logging on locally and using the server as workstation desktop is not supported and not covered by the EULA. It is a server, and not a PC.

Especially with the limited size of the 20 GByte partition this may have been the cause for disk space overflow on the system volume. Since your profile could not be loaded successfully, another one has been created (not a second account).

You can try to edit the value ProfileImagePath in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList. (Without warranty of success.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Sunday, January 2, 2011 10:01 PM
  • Thanks for the response Olaf really appreciate your assistance but could you elaborate a little more on the changes I might need to actually make please?

In the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList I have a number of subfolders

One of which is S-1-5-21-1890742863-85506489-1883678545-500 and one which is S-1-5-21-1890742863-85506489-1883678545-500.bak

The first one S-1-5-21-1890742863-85506489-1883678545-500 refers to Administrator.SERVER and the second one refers to only Administrator

Should I rename the first one to .bak and the take the .bak of the second one? or should I still edit the ProfileImagePath section of the first sub?

Thanks

Monday, January 3, 2011 5:14 PM
  • Yes, although you will have to rename the current with .SERVER to something else and then remove .bak from the original one. (It may still not work as expected, since you perform the change with the same account, which is affected.

Eventually add one of the other users temporary to the local Administrators group via Computer Management/Local Users and Groups, logon with that account locally and perform the change. After completing instantly remove that user account again from the Administrators group.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

Monday, January 3, 2011 9:56 PM