One Care Backup after termination RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I want to understand how to access One-Care backups if I need them after One-Care is terminated.  I back up onto  an external hard drive.  Is the back up valid and accessible after
    One-Care is terminated
    Saturday, March 7, 2009 4:19 PM

Answers

• I'm not sure if the restore function will still work after subscription expiration. You could always use a utility such as WinZip to extract the backup files and restore them manually but if I was planning to not renew One Care I would perform a custom restore to a folder on my external drive so that I could easily copy and paste the backup files if i needed them.
    Jim
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:43 AM
  • When your OneCare subscription ends, the restore process from within OneCare will no longer work. I have suggested that the OneCare restore utility be made available as a download, but don't know if that will happen.

As Jim noted, the backups can be opened with a 3rd party zip program such as WinZip. Files that have been split by the backup process to fit into smaller zip files will need to be manually rejoined, too. Manually restoring from a OneCare backup is possible, but it is a painful process. My recommendation would be to seek an alternative backup program or plan so that you can abandon the OneCare backups after your subscription ends.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:59 PM

All replies

• I'm not sure if the restore function will still work after subscription expiration. You could always use a utility such as WinZip to extract the backup files and restore them manually but if I was planning to not renew One Care I would perform a custom restore to a folder on my external drive so that I could easily copy and paste the backup files if i needed them.
    Jim
    Sunday, March 8, 2009 4:43 AM
  • When your OneCare subscription ends, the restore process from within OneCare will no longer work. I have suggested that the OneCare restore utility be made available as a download, but don't know if that will happen.

As Jim noted, the backups can be opened with a 3rd party zip program such as WinZip. Files that have been split by the backup process to fit into smaller zip files will need to be manually rejoined, too. Manually restoring from a OneCare backup is possible, but it is a painful process. My recommendation would be to seek an alternative backup program or plan so that you can abandon the OneCare backups after your subscription ends.

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare & Live Mesh Forum Moderator
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 3:59 PM