.exe downloads and ripped video saved on WHS while saving the same content to another Vista PC on the network works fine. Permissions? RRS feed

• Question

•  http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=36&threadid=2259916

Summary of the issue. While working on my client Vista Ultimate PC I will download a application file directly to the Home Server default shared folders and if I try to run it , the file errors out and gives different errors sometimes depending of the .exe file I am working with. Also I have noticed poor video playback results from anything saved from client to server. If I save files first on client and then move the hard drive over to the server. I can then playback the files correctly back to the client. But if I then try to save files directly to the same hard drive but now installed on the server I have issues. Something in the saving over the network to the server is corrupting the data.

Now if I save the same file over to another Vista client PC in the default Public folder the contents will work correctly and video quality is perfect.

To me this seems like a permission issue.  Any ideas?
    Monday, December 22, 2008 8:00 AM

All replies

• WHS will probably recognize the files as being copied from another machine, and thus block execution. Right click the file, select properties, then click Unblock.

Poor video playback is most likely network issue. Best use wired connection, and make sure everything (NIC settings) is configured properly on all network components. If you're not sure, just test file transfer speed both ways.
    Monday, December 22, 2008 1:35 PM
  • If it was a network issue wouldn't the issue happen on any PC on the network. The save/transfer to the other Vista PC does not have the issue, only if I save to the WHS. I thought network issue as well until I proved saving to the other client PC worked great. Ideas?
    Monday, December 22, 2008 5:18 PM