none
Failing System Disk RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows Home Server (not 2011) has a failing hard drive. I have tried to copy it to a new disk but the software I have (PC Clone EX) says that there are bad sectors and can't proceed.

I have swapped out disks before but not the system disk and am worried about losing data. Can I and should I copy the disk with bad sectors to a new disk (does it have to be same size) so that I can run on a perfect disk and only lose the copied bad sectors or is there a way to copy the existing disk to a new disk (again does it have to be the same size) and again just lose anything that was in the bad sectors.

I have removed the disk to protect it from further problems but my WHS was still working fine but giving warnings that the disk was likely to fail.

Any help much appreciated.

Sean

Tuesday, May 8, 2012 1:11 PM

All replies

• Are you talking about a failing system or data disk? If the former, and you have a server backup, restore to a new hard disk. Failing that, do a new installation on a new HDD and copy data (as much as is available) from the failing disk. The data is stored as normal files so the disk sizes do not need to match.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, May 9, 2012 6:13 AM
  • Thanks for responding.

Yes, system disk this time (HP Home Server with four disks in total, 500GB original disk with system pre-installed (now failing) and three disks added over time 500GB/500GB/1TB)

No server back up that I can recall as I believed the data was all duplicated across separate disks (I am pretty sure I had duplication turned on but don't own enough drive space outside of the server to make a further copy of all my data). 

So I have ordered 1 X 1TB disk to go in as system but the two issues are

1) not to lose the data I have on the other three disks

2) how to get everything that is not affected by the bad sectors off the original system disk.

I don't understand how the server spreads the data but I have wedding/family videos in the Home Server Shared folders (plus music CD's etc) and I have back ups from PC's/laptops some of which machines I still have and some that are now gone and the only data copy I have is the server backups that were done historically.

I am assuming if I install WHS on the new disk it will somehow see everything on the original disks and make it available?

but what about the data on the failing disk. I have connected it to a pc and can see there is data there so disk not fully gone but I would have thought that the disk wouldn't let me just copy everything back over in a sort of drag/drop or cut/paste as presumably there should be some form of access control tied in with the original login accounts? and I would want that to be set up the same on the new disk.

Thanks again for your help.

Sean Hawthorne

Thursday, May 10, 2012 1:13 AM
  • Try reading this:

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/cf354b5d-b37b-4b7f-a0d5-8e573697777f

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, May 10, 2012 6:31 AM
  • You will need to replace the system disk and follow the server recovery process that's documented in the user guide you received with your server. It will take some time (exact time depends on how much actual data you have, and could be hours to days), and will look like it's frozen and doing nothing while it rebuilds the DATA partition on the system drive.

As for losing data, read this FAQ. Long story short, you will lose anything on the system partition, you are likely to lose some backups (could even be all backups), and you may lose other unduplicated data.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Thursday, May 10, 2012 10:29 AM