WHS 2011 RC Connector Valid Client Computer Names RRS feed

• Question

• Just setup WHS 2011 RC on my server and I'm in the process of setting up the client connector on my two PC's and two laptops.  On one of my laptops, I get this error:

"The computer name contains one or more non-standard characters and cannot be connected to the server.  Standard characters include letters (A-Z,a-z), digits (0-9), and hyphens (-)."

Obviously the name of my laptop contains an underscore and is not considered valid for WHS.  Why on earth would WHS not accept a valid Windows computer name! 

And before someone tells me to just rename my laptop ... I can't.  I work from home and this laptop is provided to me by my employer.  I do not have permissions to rename it.

Just seems silly to me for it to not support a valid Windows client name.  Is this something that will be fixed in the RTM version?

Mike Buonaccorsi
    Saturday, February 26, 2011 11:53 PM

Answers

• Obviously the name of my laptop contains an underscore and is not considered valid for WHS.  Why on earth would WHS not accept a valid Windows computer name! 

It is not. According to KB909264 ("Naming conventions in Active Directory for computers, domains, sites, and OUs"), the underscore is not a valid character for DNS computer names:

DNS computer names
    Allowed characters
    DNS computer names can contain only alphabetical characters (A-Z), numeric characters (0-9), the minus sign (-), and the period (.). Period characters are allowed only when they are used to delimit the components of domain style names.

Ask your network administrator to rename your computer to name that is valid.
    - Theo.

No home server like Home Server
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:56 PM

All replies

• Obviously the name of my laptop contains an underscore and is not considered valid for WHS.  Why on earth would WHS not accept a valid Windows computer name! 

It is not. According to KB909264 ("Naming conventions in Active Directory for computers, domains, sites, and OUs"), the underscore is not a valid character for DNS computer names:

DNS computer names
    Allowed characters
    DNS computer names can contain only alphabetical characters (A-Z), numeric characters (0-9), the minus sign (-), and the period (.). Period characters are allowed only when they are used to delimit the components of domain style names.

- Theo.

Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:56 PM

DNS computer names
    Allowed characters

- Theo.

Actually, it IS valid because my laptop IS on a domain for my workplace.  So at some point it was allowed to be joined to the domain with this name, so that does not make any sense.

Mike Buonaccorsi
    Wednesday, April 6, 2011 7:04 PM