none
Why does Window Home server console return a blank screen at login? RRS feed

• Question

• When I attempt to logon on to Home Server from any of my of PCs using Home Server Console, the console appears to log into the server, but returns a blank screen after an longer than normal login delay. I am unable to clear the screen or to accomplish any work. The server appears to be performing backups, it's primary task, but I am able to acces it to determine if it is working. Any idea what is the cause? All the PCs consoles stopped working at the same time. The server icons have a message associated with them saying that the Home Server Network is Not healthy.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 12:26 AM

Answers

• Note that if you can't access the console running it directly from the server desktop, you may be able to figure out what's going on by reviewing the event logs.

If you can't load the console and you're getting network health warnings, you obviously have some problem with your server. It could be hardware or software; there's no way to tell at this time. Did you recently install anything? Have a power failure or power surge? Anything odd at all?

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:45 PM

All replies

• You can try logging in to the server using remote desktop and running the console there.
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 1:42 AM
  • Thnx!

Will try tomorrow. No time today.

John
    Tuesday, April 28, 2009 6:44 PM
  • Note that if you can't access the console running it directly from the server desktop, you may be able to figure out what's going on by reviewing the event logs.

If you can't load the console and you're getting network health warnings, you obviously have some problem with your server. It could be hardware or software; there's no way to tell at this time. Did you recently install anything? Have a power failure or power surge? Anything odd at all?

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 3:45 PM
  • I sometimes (or always?) get this when I forget to log off a remote desktop session to server.
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 6:03 PM