How do I get Bing translator to stop giving me numbers instead of words? RRS feed

• Question

• I live in Costa Rica & write payroll cheques in Spanish for a number of employees.  I don't want the cheques to be refused at the bank because of my spelling errors, so I always check with an online translator to confirm I've written the amounts correctly. This used to work perfectly with Babelfish.

Bing on the other hand does not seem capable of translating written numbers. For example it translates, fifty four thousand and two hundred thirty six as 54,2360 mil. It can't even get the figure right & adds a zero at the end. If I enter fifty four thousand, two hundred and thirty six it gives me 54 mil, doscientos treinta y seis.

Bing is completely useless to me like this. Is there any way I can get it to translate correctly?

Thanks

Friday, July 27, 2012 7:52 PM

Answers

• Hi Jugomono,

the number you got is actually the correct number for your input. Nevertheless, I understand your intent. Currently Translator doesn't behave that way - it tends to treat the input as a number, and builds the culturally appropriate number representation in the target language.

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:01 PM

All replies

• Hi Jugomono,

the number you got is actually the correct number for your input. Nevertheless, I understand your intent. Currently Translator doesn't behave that way - it tends to treat the input as a number, and builds the culturally appropriate number representation in the target language.

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Sunday, August 12, 2012 3:01 PM
  • Hi Chris,

Thanks for your reply.

1st, for some reason I wasn't permitted to reply to you without creating a new profile...jugomono1...?! It would not let me reply as my original profile & kept sending me to Create New Profile. WTF?

2nd, the number I got for my input was NOT correct, as you claim. If it really had to give me a number, that number should have been 54,236 not 54,2360 mil. THAT number doesn't make any sense at all.

Whatever...

Microsoft Translator is useless to me. Fortunately I found spanishdict.com which has no problem translating everything I need. Even google.translate.com gives me the correct answer.

Tuesday, August 21, 2012 1:43 AM
  • I tested bing translator with numbers, everything works fine.
    Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:20 AM
  • Hi Jugomono,

I only said that the number is methematically correct (54 thousand and some). I didn't mean to say that it is very useful or appropriate formatting of the number. 54,236 thousand is exactly the same as 54,2360 thousand.

Thanks for your feedback - I completely agree that we can make the format more usable.

Chris Wendt
    Microsoft Translator

Thursday, August 30, 2012 4:35 PM