Password Problem Money 2005 UK RRS feed

• Question

• My Windows 7 computer Hard Drive crashed and I have had the Data recovered however when I try to restore I am unable as it is demanding the password for my QData Backup but I never used a password. I have tried with my original disk plus the 1105 patch but this did not work and now I have tried with the UK download from this site and still it does not work, very frustrating as there is 20 years of data that I cannot access. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks
    Tuesday, March 19, 2013 12:18 PM

All replies

• Copy any *.mny, *.mbf files to other media as spares. Also look for the presence of any *.mn* files or *.m10 or *.m11 or *.m12 files. Save those too, although they may be old.

You said " I have had the Data recovered ". I wonder if that means that you used some kind of data recovery program. Such a program may make a file that looks good to Windows, but not to Money. That *.mny file could be corrupted. See if you can make a repaired version of your *.mny file with File->RepairMoneyFile->StandardFileRepair level 2.

More likely to help is to restore your newest or second-newest *.mbf file. When you get things going again, I suggest you have your scheduled backup made to a USB flash drive. Think about what you would lose if your hard drive totally failed. I hope you get things back. I periodically store an encrypted copy of my Money file on Skydrive. That would survive even a fire.

Tuesday, March 19, 2013 4:13 PM
  • Many thanks for your help but your suspicions about the data recovery program have been proved correct. Fortunately I have a lot of hard copy so am now busy re-entering which is a long job. As to your recommendation about backing up externally what excellent advice something I have found out the hard way.

Again my sincere thanks for your interest and advice

Saturday, March 23, 2013 5:08 PM