Runtime InvalidCastException RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all!

In my app there is a class named TabPageEx. This class is an extension of System.Windows.Forms.TabPage

At runtime, it occurs an error, when I try to get the selected tabpage and try to set a TabPageEx object using it.

Here is the code that I try to execute.

this.tabPageEx = (TabPageEx)tcDataPanes.SelectedTab; 

The error message:

System.InvalidCastException was unhandled
      Message="Unable to cast object of type 'System.Windows.Forms.TabPage' to type 'Interface.TabPageEx'."
      Source="Horus"
      StackTrace:
           at Horus.fMain.button1_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in C:\gdt\HMain.cs:line 214
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
           at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.DebuggableCallback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)
           at System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessageW(MSG& msg)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(Int32 dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
           at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
           at Horus.Program.Main() in C:\gdt\Horus\Horus\Program.cs:line 18
           at System.AppDomain._nExecuteAssembly(Assembly assembly, String[] args)
           at System.AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly(String assemblyFile, Evidence assemblySecurity, String[] args)
           at Microsoft.VisualStudio.HostingProcess.HostProc.RunUsersAssembly()
           at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart_Context(Object state)
           at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
           at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart()
      InnerException:

How can I set the tabPageEx1 object?

Thank you in advance!

• Moved by jack 321 Friday, June 20, 2008 8:20 AM off topic
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 1:49 PM

Answers

All replies

• TabControl.SelectedTab returns a TabPage, which is the base class you have extended with your TabPageEx. Therefore you are trying to downcast from a base class (TabPage) to a derived class (TabPageEx). Such downcasting is an illegal operation - you can't go from something more general to something more specific. Your TabPageEx may have lots of fields and methods that are not in TabPage. TabControl.SelectedTab gives you a TabPage object - from where is the runtime expected to get the extra fields and methods that a TabPageEx object expects?
    Wednesday, June 18, 2008 2:02 PM
  • I understand your explanation. It was very helpful.

So, how can I get the tabPageEx which is selected? I need to get it, because it contains a container which I will use to add some controls dynamically.

After to execute the showed command:
    this.tabPageEx = tcDataPanes.SelectedTab;

I would like to execute this one.
    this.tabPageEx.addControl(dial);

The method addControl selects a container and so, adds the control at it.

Can you help me to find a solution to this problem?

Thank you again!

Wednesday, June 18, 2008 4:22 PM
  • Discussion in Windows Forms General

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Friday, June 20, 2008 8:20 AM
  • This thread was moved into the Off Topic forum. I can move it into a specific forum for you if you want.

Thanks!

Ed Price (a.k.a User Ed), SQL Server Experience Program Manager (Blog, Twitter, Wiki)

Friday, May 11, 2012 5:02 AM