Using Synctoy to Backup Several Removable Drives RRS feed

• Question

• I'm running Vista. I've created two pairs in Sync Toy to backup 2 thumb drives I have using the Echo option. Thing is, for both pairs I had to set the same Left Folder (ESmile. I've also managed to setup Task Scheduler to run SyncToy and sync all pairs once the E: drive becomes active (that is, once a removable device is plugged in). The problem is, Synctoy can't seem to differentiate exactly which thumb drive I've plugged in, and so it backs up the drive in both pairs rather than just one. I read something in SyncToy Help that the SyncToyDirectoryId.txt file is to help it differentiate removable drives, but it doesn't seem to be working for me.

How can I have Synctoy recognize which drive is inserted and only sync the relevant pair?

Please note- I'm NOT a techie, so please go easy on me. Thanks!

Sunday, September 7, 2008 6:28 AM

All replies

• Are you running SyncToy 2.0? I assume you mean that when you plug-in either of the thumb drives - they both get assigned the Drive Letter E: and that is the lhs of both the folder pairs that you haev set up?

What do you mean when you say SyncToy backs up drive in both pairs rather than just one? You have set SyncToy to run all folder pairs so it will sync all valid folder pairs that it finds.

Thanks

Deepa

Sunday, September 7, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, Deepa

1. Yes, I am running 2.0

2. I have set up both pairs to have the same LHS ( E: ). I set it up under the assumption that both thumb drives won't be plugged in at once, and even if they are, the second one ( G: ) won't be synced.

3. Yes, I have set Task Scheduler to run all SyncToy pairs. The difference between the two pairs is that they backup to different locations (for example, one goes from E: ---> C:/Sandisk and the other from E: ---> C:/Imation). But when I plug either thmb drive in it syncs to both folders. What I want to happen is that when I plug the Sandisk is, the machine recognizes the drive and only syncs the first pair. Likewise the Imation should trigger only the second pair, despite the fact that I've set Task Scheduler to run all pairs.

The alternative is to set up Task Scheduler to somehow recognize which drive is inserted (I don't know how to do that) and then run the corresponding sync in SyncToy.

Hope I've clarified, and hope even more that you can help. Thanks.
    Monday, September 8, 2008 2:56 PM
  •  

I want to be sure that this is how you set the folder pairs up

1) Install SyncToy 2.0 on a local machine.

2) Plug in Thumb Drive 1 and the system assigns it a drive letter of E:

3) Create  a folder pair from E:\ -> C:\Scandisk as an Echo sync - run it at least once

4) Unplug thumb drive 1 and plug in Thumb Drive2 and the system assigns it a drive letter of E:

5) Create a folder pair from E:\ -> C:\Imation as an Echo sync - run it at least once.

I know you have Task Scheduler in your setup above but what about when you have one of the drives plugged in and using hte UI - you hit Run All Folder pairs - do you see the same thing happen?

Thanks

Deepa

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 12:34 AM