PCI SATA Controller... RRS feed

• Question

•  

I installed WHS on the biggest ATA HD I had lying around. I'm not trying to add a SATA controller card to the system, but can't seem to get the OS to boot with it plugged in... Does WHS support controller cards like that? I noticed it runs off the back of Server 03. I would think it should. The card I bought:

Rosewill RC-210 Silicon Image e-SATA PCI Controller Card

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16816132007

I cant figure out why after the post, I get nothing.... System just sits on with no activity. The HD i have hooked up to it is a 500 GB SATA drive and it's blank...

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 8:49 PM

Answers

•  PittaOnzJ00 wrote:

I tried hookin up the card without the HD at ist worked fine.

I't could be the HD itself.

Is there a big issuie having the 500GB in there as added storage and having the 120GB used for the installation of the OS?

Yes, it is a big issue.  The 500GB should be the primary disk - do a search - there are many eloquent explanations for why this is the case.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:31 AM

All replies

• I tried hookin up the card without the HD at ist worked fine.

Is there a big issuie having the 500GB in there as added storage and having the 120GB used for the installation of the OS?

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 3:59 AM
  •  PittaOnzJ00 wrote:

I tried hookin up the card without the HD at ist worked fine.

Yes, it is a big issue.  The 500GB should be the primary disk - do a search - there are many eloquent explanations for why this is the case.

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 7:31 AM
  •  

Will do...
    Wednesday, February 27, 2008 8:23 AM
  • Also, WHS, being as you say, based on Server 2003, does not have included drivers for SATA drives. Therefore you will need to install 2003 compatible versions if at all possible. If you search the forum, you will find that, if the SATA drive is your system drive, you will need to install those drivers twice; once for the Server 2003 portion and then again for the WHS portion.

Colin 

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 6:10 PM
  •  PittaOnzJ00 wrote:

Is there a big Issie having the 500GB in there as added storage and having the 120GB used for the installation of the OS?

There should not be any catastrophic problems with 100 GB for the DATA volume.  It is not recommended, but it should work.  I'm guessing the 500 GB SATA drive is a Western Digital Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM SATA-150 Hard Drive - OEM only the 500 GB model???
    Thursday, February 28, 2008 12:59 AM
  •  

Yes it is the WD Drive you described... Howed you guess? :-)

I <3 WD

Im just gunna buy a new barebones with IDE & SATA built in... should be easier to deal with. Use the internal IDE for a DVD drive and the OS drive.. and the 2 SATA for 2 500GB+ drives for storage.... Probably grab a 200+ IDE for the OS... use all new parts...

Thursday, February 28, 2008 4:31 AM
  • Those drives just flat refuse to work in some environments.  I tried 2 of them before I gave them up and tried something else.  If I remember correctly those drives are designed specifically for use in RAID applications.  I am not sure what they did different, but they didn't work for me and I just could not justify fighting it. 

Thursday, February 28, 2008 6:14 AM
  • Some of the SATA-1.0 chips wont detect hdd's larger than 320.

Does the card have a driver that works prior to connecting the hdd? 

Size is not an issue during boot, Im pretty sure WHS will let you have a small OS drive and large data drive, it just isnt optimal.

Thursday, February 28, 2008 7:53 PM
  • The ones I had were 150...  Maybe some don't work over 128?

Thursday, February 28, 2008 10:16 PM
  • Jeshimon, those drives have TLER (Time Limited Error Recovery) and yes, they are designed for use in RAID applications. Normal desktop drives will attempt error recovery for an extended period (up to a couple of minutes in some cases). During this time, they look (to a RAID controller) like they've gone off-line. That makes the RAID controller drop the drive from the array, degrading it and causing all sorts of headaches.

Drives with TLER try error recovery for a few seconds, but then return an error if they can't deal with it immediately. The RAID controller can deal with this (after all it's what RAID is for) by doing it's own error recovery from the rest of the array. The result is that the drive is still in the array, and the array isn't degraded.

You can see why you don't want to use a drive with TLER outside of a RAID application, I think. If the drive encounters an error, it gives up on fixing it almost immediately. Without a RAID array behind the drive, that error means that you've just lost or corrupted some data.
    Friday, February 29, 2008 4:12 PM
  • to the OP - are you saying that you have added a controller/disk to an existing combo, and now it won't boot?  If so, you probably need to change the controller order in your PC's BIOS to present the old disk, with WHS on it, as the first disk.

Friday, February 29, 2008 5:02 PM
  • Ken,

I'm not sure that explains why the would not even make it through a format, but ok.

Friday, February 29, 2008 9:23 PM
  • Yeah... I got the trial in the mail... and installed it on a spare system with a 120gb HD.....

I added a SATA controller card (old PC), and with a 500GH WD Drive hooked up to the card, it wont boot... it posts, then a black screen. I unplug it and reboot, and it boots fine, controller card still installed...

Saturday, March 1, 2008 9:08 PM