CRM 4.0 Outlook Client Keeps Crashing outlook RRS feed

• Question

•  

We recently deployed the CRM 4.0 outlook client at a small company. For some users it worked fine for others it has been a nightmare. We are getting the following conditions:

Emails with attachments open up blank. sometimes the user re-tries and the attachment opens fine sometimes not.

Outlook constatly crashes, closes, and re-opens (outlook needs to restart, etc...)

This is happening to the users several times a day. Eventvwr is pointing to outllib.dll and crmaddin errors.

I have tried the following (and more that I just can't remember right now)

re-installed the os, and clean version of office

renamed the outcmd.dat et al and forced outlook to recreate.

Deleted outlook profile and re-created

installed all service packs for .net 1.1 - 3.0

installed hotfix for crm that causes the crash if the contact has a birthday before 1970 whatever the heck it is.

Installed Office sp3

Installed xp sp 3

These are all windows xp pro machines running office 2003. They all have at least 1gb of RAM.

at my wits end with this please help!

Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:37 PM

Answers

• Hi,

we had some similar problems here.

After turning of the Exchange-Cache-Mode the clients run without these problems!

Saturday, August 2, 2008 9:10 AM

All replies

• I also have a client experiencing a lot of crashing also on select mahcines. They are currently working directly with microsoft to try and resolve the issue. My only suggestion would be to turn off Outlook-CRM syncing and see if this stops the crashing. Obviously it is not a solution but it will isolate the problem and make the client usable until the problem can be resolved.

Leon Tribe
    Friday, July 25, 2008 12:09 AM
  • There is an issue in the 4.0 Outlook client when there are birthdays or anniversary fields in your data with dates before, I believe, 1971. You might want to check that first. I believe there has been a hot fix for it but I am not certain. For my own system, I did an Advanced Find to locate all such records and then moved those dates to Description (or Notes, or whatever).

Friday, July 25, 2008 1:58 AM
  • Hi Larry,

Thanks for the reply but this is definitely not the issue. I have already applied the hotfix for this issue it is on my list above.

installed hotfix for crm that causes the crash if the contact has a birthday before 1970

Friday, July 25, 2008 2:07 AM
  • Thought it was too easy, but it had to be suggested

Friday, July 25, 2008 2:36 AM
  • No worries, I am willing to take any suggetions at this point. The end-users are pretty mellow but this is definitely annoying and I can tell they are starting to get fed up.

Friday, July 25, 2008 4:33 AM
  • From what I am reading , the focus seems to be on the client machines.   You really did the extra mile in scoping out the Problem .    Some times Outlook does through that “faulting module outllib.dll” message.

Try some Outlook 2003 switches such as  /cleanprofile Open the “C:\Documents and Settings\USER-\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook” folder and move the files to another folder or delete the Outcmd.dat file and restart outlook.

Perhaps it's also time to think about the forest?

I had two odd client problems this week and there were some even odder things I found in their forest.    How is the access to the SQL server?  Turning off the Sync like Larry said would seem to be a way to keep the client from sending calls to the database all the time.   So if that works you have other questions to ask yourself, like how is my surface control doing?  How is my authentication to the SPNs?

Friday, July 25, 2008 7:47 AM
  • Even if you have applied the hot fix, you might want to experiment by doing an Advanced Find for any contacts that contain Birthday or Anniversary fields with dates before 1971. Clear those out and put the info in another field like Description so you can restore it later. You may even need to give it a bit of time after you've cleared the dates.

Tuesday, July 29, 2008 3:04 AM
  • Do you have any other COM addins installed in Outlook?  I have experienced an issue where Outlook crashes when "Business contact manager" for Outlook is installed when trying to use the client.

Friday, August 1, 2008 4:47 PM
  •  Dave Cockerham wrote:

Do you have any other COM addins installed in Outlook?  I have experienced an issue where Outlook crashes when "Business contact manager" for Outlook is installed when trying to use the client.

I thought BCM was a certain killer, but the addins are a place to look.  There is another issue that has an unpublished hotfix.  Something about the addins loading too fast.  MS doesn't mention the cause and my theory is that it coincides with too large mailboxes.  The work around had you set the addins to require user affirmation to load.  The hotfix has to be gotten from MS but worked for us.

edit:

we are working with Office 2007

Friday, August 1, 2008 8:47 PM
  • Hi, Sorry for going dark on this for awhile. It's been a busy week.

Dave, This sounds plausible as the source of our problems. I will try and look into it some more on Monday. The users do have Adobe Standard 7 installed along with the adobe toolbar in outlook, word etc. But we have tried disabling this already and it did not help. The Business contact manager is not installed on any of the machines. Also I had the users change the crm sync from every 15 minutes to every hour to see if it would improve performance. It did not help. Thanks again to everyone for the help. I will keep you updated!

Friday, August 1, 2008 11:41 PM
  • Hi,

After turning of the Exchange-Cache-Mode the clients run without these problems!

Saturday, August 2, 2008 9:10 AM
  • I just turned off cached mode for one of the users I will let you know how it goes!

Thursday, August 7, 2008 12:01 AM
  • Unfortunately, turning off Cached Mode will also disable spam filtering by IMF.

Thursday, August 7, 2008 3:45 AM
  •  

hi rrclimber ,

I faced similar issues to yours. I understand it is very frustrating in solving this issue. I too spent many hours in fixing this problem.

I managed to identify the pattern of crashing.

1) Outlook 2007 crashes when opening / closing a CRM tracked email

2) These tracked email contains an invalid signature in outlook / corrupted signature in outlook (would appear as 'x').

Finally, I found a new hotfix from Microsoft.

Download hotfix KB954800 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954800)

and apply on the desktops (only the ones that are suffering from outlook crashing issue).

Good luck.

Regards,

Jason Lim

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 7:58 AM
  • Hi,

Friday, June 21, 2013 10:58 AM