Organize Projects in Project Center RRS feed

• Question

• I am new to using Project Server, and am looking to organize projects by different categories in project center. A basic nested folder structure similar to folders in Windows would work excellent, but I am unsure on how to structure this in Project Server 2010. Any help on how to structure this would be appreciated.

Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:01 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi Egglectc149,

You can't create folder for this view, but you can create a new views for your Project Center, by this way you can organize your projects for example by State, Project Type, etc,  the way for do this, is creating a new categories for your project by custom fields, after that, you can create  a new view where you be able to grouping o filtering your projects with the custom field that you created.

For example, if you want to organize your project by type, maybe your can use some field called Enterprise Project Type Name, this field you can use for grouping or filtering if you create differents type of project to create, but first take a look in every field you be able to use with your projects by default, and by this way you can easly create a view and orgnizate your projects, if not, create a new custom fields that you need to organize your porjects and use them for grouping or filtering in your new view.

How to create a new custom filed: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/create-or-modify-a-custom-field-HA010098007.aspx

How to create a new view: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/set-up-a-project-web-app-view-HA102013576.aspx

Grouping formats: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/project-server-help/change-the-formatting-of-rows-within-groups-HA101827982.aspx?CTT=3

Raymundo Chapa, MCTS Project Server and Team Foundation Server
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:21 PM
  • Hi, you need to use Enterprise Project Custom Fields, linked to a lookup table. EG, suppose you wish to group your projects by customer name. Within Systems Settings, click on Enterprise custom fields. Scroll down to the bottom and create a lookup cable called Customer. Type in your customer names in the look up table. Once done, create an Enterprise Custom Field called Customer. Make this a Project field, and associate it with the Customer lookup table. Then, within the Views section in Server settings, modify the Summary project centre view and select the Group By field to be Customer. Open and close MS Project. Open each project, and within Project | Project information, choose the customer and publish each project. Open the Project Centre, and view by Summary. Your projects will be grouped by customer.
    Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web
    Wednesday, February 23, 2011 10:24 PM
  • Thanks Ben, that is what I was looking for. One more thing, is there a way to remove the name of the custom field in the project center view? I have looked all over for a soution, but can't seem to find one. For example, I would want to remove the "Project Portfolio" label on the below example:

Project Portfolio: Project Plans:
    Project Portfolio: Test Projects:
    Project Portfolio: Master Projects:

Having this label in there seems redundant, ideally this example would appear with just the headings as follows:

Project Plans:...
    Test Projects:...
    Master Projects:...

Thursday, February 24, 2011 7:32 PM
  • When you build the view, you can set a custom label for each field in the view. make it a space or underscore or something like that.
    Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG
    Sunday, February 27, 2011 1:55 PM
  • I have added an enterprise custom view that includes grouping.  When I goto project center (Project Server 2010) and flip between different enterprise views the groupings disappear.  I have to open the enterprise custom field and save again in order for the groupings to show up.  Anybody coming across the same issue?
    Tuesday, December 20, 2011 7:58 PM
  • Hi I tried what you suggested but there's a problem: the column ":" does not desapear. So you have this format: ": yourClassification". There's any way to improve this? thanks!!
    Thursday, October 11, 2012 11:02 AM