OCS 2007 to 2007 R2 Migration: Exchange UM integration RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone,

We currently have a OCS2007 SE server running with one OCS2007 Mediation Server.  I am currently migrating our environment to R2, using a side-by-side migration.  I followed the online migration manual and I reahed the point where the R2 server starts and seems to work.  I migrated two test users to R2 using the R2 management tools.

R2 automatically uses the old location profile and enables me to call to the PSTN network, as well to other OCS users (still on the 2007 version).  Using the telephone numbers I can even call the AutoAttendants on our Exchange server without having done anything to explicitly enable that.  I migrated a voice-mail enabled user from OCS 2007 user to OCS 2007 R2.  When calling the voice mail using the Communicator R2 client, I get the error "Call was unsuccessful".  This does not really surprise me, as I did no R2-Exchange integration.

The problem now is that there is very little (none?) documentation on the web on how to enable the connection between our Exchange server UM and OCS R2.  The search funtion on this forum does not work, and using search engines I have very little extra info, so I hope one of the experts here can help me. :-)

Two questions:

1) Should I run all steps desribed in the original integration manual (released for OCS 2007 RTM) again, as described at : http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb803622.aspx?   Should I also execute the exchucutil.ps1 script again?  Or, should I just create a new location profile, dial plan and link them using OcsUMUtil.exe on the R2 server?

2) How does the routing for the AutoAttendants currently work between OCS R2 and Exchange?    I did not specify a direct route, so I guess the call is hopping over our old OCS server towards Exchange...  What will happen if I remove the old server?

Thanks for your help!
    Best Regards
    Wim
    Monday, May 25, 2009 9:14 AM

All replies

• A small folluw-up to my own question.  I could/would like to keep the current OCS location profile and dial plan.  The simplest solution seems to be to:

- add the new R2 server as an additional "UM IP Gateway" in Exchange
    - Use the OcsUMUtil to create a new SA for the new server, using the same dialplan (and possibly a new tel number that can be changed later)

Could this work?

I am not really fond of the exchucutil.ps1 script, and would not want to break things on our environment.  Thanks for your understanding...

Thanks,
    Best Regards
    Wim
    Monday, May 25, 2009 12:57 PM
  • Hi everyone,

I decided to put my faith in the Exchange 2007 Management console and added a new Exchange UM IP Gateway object that points to our new R2 server.  As soon as the object was created it was possible to call voice mail from R2 users.  Missed call notifications are also coming in now.  Great! [:D]

For now I left the option "Allow outgoing call through this gateway" switched ON for both gateways, and play-on-phone even works. :-)

Exchucutil.ps - verify showed no errors and two pools pointing to the same dialplan.

Nice.

But, feel free to comment on whether this is actually a good idea or not. :-)

Thanks for your input,

Best Regards,

Wim

Thursday, May 28, 2009 11:40 AM
  • I'm not sure if this is the correct way to do it or not but it sounds pretty good to me!  I'm in exactly the same situation - in fact I had to re-read the date of your your post to make sure it wasn't posted by one of my colleagues!

I was pretty shocked to find that when I migrated two test users they could make and recieve phone calls.  IM I expected but not telephony.  I also have the UM problem and will try as you suggest tomorrow and report on my experience.

I agree that there is very little documentation regarding this process - although a massive amount of documentation on almost everything else. 

Have you progressed to installing an R2 mediation server and decomissioning the 2007 front end and mediation servers?
    Monday, July 27, 2009 9:58 AM
  • Hi Wim,

From my experience there is nothing wrong with running the exchucutil.ps1 again and I work in a large enviroment. If you need to insert a new pool agian I would recommend this rather than the manual method just because it takes a little less thought:-) The R2 instruction for OCS exchange integration are pretty much the same so if you do get stuck there wont be an issue if you use them. Below is the link to the R2 instructions.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd441297(office.13).aspx

Cheers
    Chris
    http://voipnorm.blogspot.com/
    Monday, July 27, 2009 1:23 PM
  • Wim -

Yes you will need to run the ExchUMutil.exe as well as the OCSUMutil.exe.  The funcationality that ExchUMutil provides is that it enables exchange UM to have a logical path defined for all the Dial plans associated with users so that there is a match.  It creates a logical Dial plan, Voip GW (not for the actual Audiocodes/dialogic IPGW) objects which are critical.  As you move users to R2, the Exchange will need to know of the new R2 org for it to process messages.  Same goes for OCSUMutil, as it creates logical objects in AD.

HTH

James
    Tuesday, July 28, 2009 2:24 PM
  • Thanks everyone for posting your remarks!

Although everything was working using the method I described above, I did notice that there was a difference in the Exchange Management Console.  If I remember correctly, the 'pilot identifier' was empty for the new R2 object I created manually, why it was filled out for the old R1 gateway.

Just to be sure I removed all integration objects, and reran the scripts. As most of you indicated, they ran without a problem.  Everything still works and it the integration looks 'healthier' as now the pilot identifier conforms again to what I would expect.

I had some problems with domains, scripts and re-executing things in the past, so I am very wary about it.  This time my fears were not justified. :-)

Thanks again,
    Best Regards
    Wim
    Tuesday, August 4, 2009 6:50 AM