none
SBS 2003 or WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a bit of a dilemma and hope this forum can help...

I've got a Dell Poweredge server, had it for 18 months but never used it.  It came with SBS 2003 but after messing around with it a bit I basically switched off because I couldn't think of anything to use it for.

Now I've discovered WHS through a friend and think it would be very useful to me (i.e. the backup of PC's and centralised storage for photos, music etc).

I believe I can buy an OEM licence of WHS and install it on the server, but the question is should I do this?

I've read that WHS is a cutdown version of SBS 2003, but I've got the full SBS 2003 already, so should I really be spending money to 'downgrade'?

Can I get software that is in WHS and install it on SBS 2003?  I don't have need for exchange or SQL server (that needs SBS 2003) but I do want the features of WHS.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:01 PM

All replies

• You can probably install Windows Home Server on your Dell PowerEdge; you will need drivers for Windows Server 2003 to do so, and depending on your hardware you may need to prepare a floppy disk with drivers for installation during text-mode setup. Your server manuals should guide you through this.

It's not really accurate to describe Windows Home Server as a "cutdown" version of SBS; SBS has a target market, and WHS has a very different target market. They're both built on the underpinnings of Windows Server 2003 R2, so there are some similarities under the hood, but one is not a superset of the other. And no, you can't get just the bits that make Windows Home Server and install them on Small Business Server.

At the end of the day, you're really the only one who can evaluate your needs to determine which OS is right for you...

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Thursday, May 27, 2010 8:45 PM
  • Hi Ken,

Thank you very much for the rapid and clear advice.

Having thought about it overnight the more I think WHS is right for me.

Many thanks.

Friday, May 28, 2010 9:36 AM