none
Editing and creating DDS files RRS feed

• Question

• I've been reading Frank Lunas book on Directx 12. Does anyone know of a good way to create and edit DDS files? googling suggests downloading other software like photoshop.

Thanks

Wednesday, July 24, 2019 4:51 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I need to confirm something first. Are you developing a UWP app or not? Do you mean you need to view and edit a DDS files in your app that you developed? Or you just need an app to read .dds files? According to the document here:Image editor, the Image Editor supports .dds files. To achieve this, you will need to install a inindividual components for Visual Studio called Image and 3D model editors.

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, July 25, 2019 2:35 AM
  • In regards to using Photoshop, look here https://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-texture-tools-adobe-photoshop. But check out those dates. I don't even know if PS CC can run that plugin. Microsoft don't even support viewing of DDS in Windows - their own file format - nor provide their own plugins for photoshop.

And I have the 'Image and 3D model editors' component installed and I don't see any Graphics section under installed for Add New Item. Is that a C++ only feature?

Thursday, July 25, 2019 3:24 AM
  • Hi Roy,

Thanks for your reply. So the use case is that I have a hobby project where I'm working on DirectX 12, and it's not using UWP, it's just a desktop application.

Zooming out, my end goal is to create models and animate them in DirectX. So for example a fish swimming would be a starting point. I'm doing a blender course on udemy, and a large part of the work that is needed is clear, i.e. creating the model, it's vertices, animations/keyframes etc. 

Where all this seems to get somewhat esoteric is some of the Microsoft specifics, e.g. that DirectX as far as I understand specifically deals with DDS files.

I downloaded the project that contains texconv ( https://github.com/Microsoft/DirectXTex ), that quite easily can create a .dds file from say a .bmp, so that is great. I created a flat normal map too. But what is not clear, but from what I understand, typically you need both a .dds for showing the texture itself, but typically another .dds for the normal mapping and hence lighting effects.

So in a nutshell, if you have some .bmp of interest, I know how to turn that into a .dds, but how would you create a .dds for the normal mapping? I guess in photo shop for example there is a more full blown toolset?

Regards,

Peter

Saturday, July 27, 2019 4:41 PM
  • Hi Gavin,

Thanks for your reply, please see also my reply to Roy above that contains a lot of information applicable to both responses. I'll checkout photoshop, thanks for the tip. For the meantime I'll continue with the blender course, as in the short run having decent normal mapping isn't the highest priority, however out of the box, blender 2.80 doesn't seem very compatible with DirectX, i.e. even the add on that outputs a model as a .x file doesn't seem supported.

The main thing that I will want to understand is how typcially a designer ends up with a .dds file that describes a textures normals, are people typically using photoshop? or is it usual to use Blender, create a height map for example then use texconv.exe to create a normal map in dds format?

Regards,

Peter

Saturday, July 27, 2019 4:46 PM
  • Hi,

Based on your response, your issue is out of the scope of UWP forum. This is a link that might be useful for you here:DirectX Developer Blog

Best regards,

Roy

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, July 29, 2019 4:42 AM