Opening backup fails at 81% RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP MSS EX-470 fully updated including PP2. I'm trying to open a backup from a client computer running Vista x86 and it fails at 81%, just after getting the message installing a driver. Then BSOD and restart on the client. I tried with another client and get the same problem. Before PP2, I successfully opened a backup to retrieve some files while some others were experiencing the problem. Now, I'm the one getting the problem. I installed PP2 at the end of april since my WHS is french. I tought the problem was fixed with PP2.

Anybody for a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Klode
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:37 AM

Answers

• I have a HP MSS EX-470 fully updated including PP2. I'm trying to open a backup from a client computer running Vista x86 and it fails at 81%, just after getting the message installing a driver. Then BSOD and restart on the client. I tried with another client and get the same problem. Before PP2, I successfully opened a backup to retrieve some files while some others were experiencing the problem. Now, I'm the one getting the problem. I installed PP2 at the end of april since my WHS is french. I tought the problem was fixed with PP2.

Anybody for a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Klode

If this is the BSOD I think it is, the fix cannot come from PP2 as the bug is in the client.  Please see this thread.  In order to fix this, you will have to install a hotfix on the client machine.

The BSOD should be a Stop 0x0000C1F5

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:48 AM

All replies

Anybody for a solution?

Thanks in advance,

Klode

If this is the BSOD I think it is, the fix cannot come from PP2 as the bug is in the client.  Please see this thread.  In order to fix this, you will have to install a hotfix on the client machine.

The BSOD should be a Stop 0x0000C1F5

Thanks
    Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 1:48 AM
  • You were right Lara. I downloaded the hotfix and I was able to access my backup to retreive some important files.

Thank you for your help and quick answer.

Klode
    Wednesday, May 6, 2009 5:36 AM
  • I am new to this forum, so apologies if this is the wrong place to post.

I have a problem with trying to open a WHS backup - it fails at 81%, with a message first acting that I format the drive, then an error message saying that it cannot mount the drive.

More detail:

I have two computers - Laptop and Desktop.  Both are running Windows 7 Ultimate x64.   Each backs up to an HP EX470.  Everything used to work fine.

Recently my laptop drive was near to failure, so I cloned the drive to a new drive using Acronis.  Everything seemed to work fine.  However, a couple of weeks ago I tried to open a backup for the Laptop using the WHS console, and it failed as described above.  I can open backups for my Desktop on both my Desktop and Laptop, but cannot open a Laptop backup on either computer - it fails at 81%.  This indicates to me (which may be wrong) that the problem lies with the backup itself.

I have tried every solution I can find in various forums, including the solutions here: http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/nn-NO/whsfaq/thread/785bc097-b7b0-4268-bd9f-cc802c5eb355.  No joy. have deleted the Home Server Restore Driver 2 using Device Manager.  I have completely uninstalled and reinstalled the WHS Connector Software from my Laptop.  I have also deleted references to the software in the Registry before reinstalling.  I have done the same with LightsOut (which is running on my computers and WHS).  I have manually deleted all backups (for both computers) on WHS, repaired and cleaned up.  Still no joy.  Both computers seem to back up without error, and I can open my Desktop backups.  I can open the RESTORE drive backup for my Laptop, but still not the C: drive backup. 

When I have reinstalled the client, I have used the software in the "Software" folder on my home server.

I am now completely at a loss as to what to do next.  Can anyone suggest anything please?

Many thanks.

• Edited by Ian Ham Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:42 PM
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 7:36 PM
  • I suspect that you're correct about where the problem lies, since you can open backups for other computers on your laptop, but can't open backups for your laptop on any computer. First, just in case it is a server problem (possibly with one of the backup database components that's specific to your laptop) I would run chkdsk /r on all the drives in your server.

If that doesn't help, you can try using the functionality in the Windows Home Server Console to repair your backup database. I don't guarantee that this will restore access to your laptop backups, however. Depending on what's wrong, it could:

• Fail to repair anything.
    • Repair the backup database with no loss.
    • Repair the backup database, but lose some backups (or all backups) for your laptop.
    • Repair the backup database, but lose some or all backups for all computers.

Follow this with a backup database cleanup (also in the console), then try again. If that doesn't work, you can try:

• Delete the laptop from your server.
    • Run a backup database cleanup.
    • Re-join your laptop to your server by running C:\Program Files\Windows Home Server\discovery.exe.

To test and see if that worked, run a manual backup, then try to open that backup on your laptop, and on another computer, once it completes.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, October 5, 2011 8:05 PM
  • Ken,

Thank you for your reply.

I've already done all of that ,with no joy.  However, I'll try one more time to make sure I didn't mess up anything.

Ian

Friday, October 7, 2011 6:47 PM
  • Bummer.

The final option is to delete the backup database entirely and reboot your server. Then go through setting up backups for your computers, and run a manual backup of each. If you decide to do that, prior to deleting the files that comprise the backup database you should stop certain services on your server:

net stop pdl
    net stop whsbackup

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, October 7, 2011 7:07 PM
  • I'm afraid that failed as well.  I stopped the services you mentioned then deleted all files in "D:\folders\{00008086-058D-4C89-AB57-A7F909A47AB4}", then rebooted the server. I then removed the Connector software from my laptop, then (from my desktop) ran the backup repair from the console.  I then configured and ran a manual backup of the desktop (which opens fine).  Finally I reinstalled the Connector software on my laptop and configured and ran a manual backup of the laptop.  That fails to open at 81% (failure to mount backup).

I am stumped.

Ian

Wednesday, October 12, 2011 9:59 PM