Files ceasing to be readable on Windows Home Server RRS feed

• Question

• I'm using Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1, so I think this isn't the old corruption bug.

I put an x264 movie file on my server and tried to play it in VLC, it worked. I closed VLC and tried to open the same file later - it gave me an error saying that the file couldn't be read. I tried to copy the file to my desktop (XP SP3) and it said it says "Could not copy <filename>: The device is not connected" - reading any of the other files in the directory works just fine. I get the same VLC and Windows errors on each of my XP machines. On OS X it just doesn't play anything (no error message) and when I try and copy it it says "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in <filename> could not be read or written. (Error code -36)". From what I can tell, the file permissions haven't changed.

During all this my girlfriend was watching something from the server via my laptop in the other room using Front Row. She's managed to continue uninterrupted (aside from the reboots of the server, of course). This has been the situation loads of times without any problems though.

So viewing this file in VLC somehow made it inaccessible. This persists through both restarts of the server and the viewing machine.

I thought this was a one off, deleted the file (which worked fine) and went to play a different one. That too worked. A few more files down the line I get the same VLC error on a new file. Voilà, that file is now broken. I'm using different versions of VLC on different machines, 0.9.6 on one, 0.9.8a on another, and 0.9.8 on the Mac. The first time it broke a file it was the 0.9.8a, the second one was broken by the 0.9.6.

I don't know what to try, googling for terms related to files being corrupted on WHS just swamps me with pages about the bug that power pack 1 fixed.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 4:14 PM

All replies

• Could you please submit a bug for this on Connect? Things that would be useful would include server logs collected using the server component of the Windows Home Server toolkit, client logs collected using the client component of the toolkit, etc.

In addition, you could try running chkdsk on all the drives in your server; there's a post in the FAQ section that describes how to accomplish this.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 5:29 PM
  • Anjow said:

I'm using Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1, so I think this isn't the old corruption bug.

I put an x264 movie file on my server and tried to play it in VLC, it worked. I closed VLC and tried to open the same file later - it gave me an error saying that the file couldn't be read. I tried to copy the file to my desktop (XP SP3) and it said it says "Could not copy <filename>: The device is not connected" - reading any of the other files in the directory works just fine. I get the same VLC and Windows errors on each of my XP machines. On OS X it just doesn't play anything (no error message) and when I try and copy it it says "The Finder cannot complete the operation because some data in <filename> could not be read or written. (Error code -36)". From what I can tell, the file permissions haven't changed.

During all this my girlfriend was watching something from the server via my laptop in the other room using Front Row. She's managed to continue uninterrupted (aside from the reboots of the server, of course). This has been the situation loads of times without any problems though.

So viewing this file in VLC somehow made it inaccessible. This persists through both restarts of the server and the viewing machine.

I thought this was a one off, deleted the file (which worked fine) and went to play a different one. That too worked. A few more files down the line I get the same VLC error on a new file. Voilà, that file is now broken. I'm using different versions of VLC on different machines, 0.9.6 on one, 0.9.8a on another, and 0.9.8 on the Mac. The first time it broke a file it was the 0.9.8a, the second one was broken by the 0.9.6.

I don't know what to try, googling for terms related to files being corrupted on WHS just swamps me with pages about the bug that power pack 1 fixed.

Hi,

I just tried to repro this with a default install of 0.9.8a and I can't so in addition to what Ken suggested, do you have any non default configurations set in VLC under Tools>Preferences > Inputs & Codecs? Also let us know if you have made any other changes to VLC.

And, does this repro with all file types or just x264? Not that I want you to corrupt more files but if you have other types, make a copy and then try to repro.

Thanks.

Lara Jones [MSFT] | Program Manager
    Community Support and Beta | Windows Home Server Team
    Windows Home Server Team Blog
    Connect Windows Home Server
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 8:45 PM
  • It has happened with 3 files now, one more x264 and one XviD. I don't have any non-standard VLC inputs & codecs - in fact all the versions I've used have been using their default settings all around, since that's adequate for me.

I have not managed to do it at will yet, but every time I watch a file using VLC from now on I'm going to be calculating an MD5 hash of it beforehand and then checking it afterwards if it had the problem.

Ken, I'm pretty new to actually doing anything with my server other than put stuff on it and use it but I will have a look into those things you said to do. Is there any guide for that Connect thing? It seems very confusing to me, I don't know where to start to accomplish what you suggested. I can do the logs but I don't know about submitting a bug.

Thanks for the replies so far.
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:02 PM
  • Anjow said:

Is there any guide for that Connect thing? It seems very confusing to me, I don't know where to start to accomplish what you suggested. I can do the logs but I don't know about submitting a bug.

Thanks for the replies so far.

There's a guide for submitting a good bug.

For just submitting a bug:

1. You will need to register on Connect if you have never been a part of a beta or program.
    2. Once you've done that, please join our program here.
    3. Once you are in the program, you'll see a set of links on the left hand side.
    4. Click on the feedback link.
    5. Click on the big orange FEEDBACK button
    6. Enter search critera in this case "VLC corrupt files"
    7. Nothing appears
    8. Click on the Enter Feedback button
    9. Depending on what program you are in, several forms will appear. Pick the appropriate bug form
    10. Enter a title, description, repro steps, and expected results 
    11. Provide your CAB numbers
    12. Hit the submit button

You will be given a Feedback ID to track and we will follow up with you via Connect or in email.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:27 PM
  • Can you also verify for us what version of software you have installed on your Windows Home Server? You can do that by logging into your Windows Home Server Console and going settings>resources and posting the numbers here for us.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

Is that right?
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 4:26 PM
  • Anjow said:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.0

Is that right?

This is Power Pack 1 but you are not up to date. Please run Automatic Updates using the Windows Home Server Console.

You should see:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.1800.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.1800.36
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.1800.24
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.1800.24

Thanks!

Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 5:03 PM
  • I've just noticed that in the 'shared folders' tab of the connector software it says that all the folders are 'Failing (Check health)'. However, when I look in the 'storage' tab, it says 'Healthy' under the status heading for all the discs. Does anyone know where I'm meant to check the health of the shared folders or how I can fix it?

I'll get onto that automatic update thing in the meantime.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:08 PM
  • Anjow said:

I've just noticed that in the 'shared folders' tab of the connector software it says that all the folders are 'Failing (Check health)'. However, when I look in the 'storage' tab, it says 'Healthy' under the status heading for all the discs. Does anyone know where I'm meant to check the health of the shared folders or how I can fix it?

I'll get onto that automatic update thing in the meantime.

Did you run chkdsk like Ken suggested? And if you have, did you reboot yet? If you have run chkdsk using the instructions in Ken's post but have not rebooted, the failing health indicators may be because you have file conflicts because chkdsk must unmount the volumes. Rebooting will clear this.

If you have not run chkdsk, I would do that. Also, if you have the toolkit installed, check the system event logs for event ID 55, event ID 7 or event ID 26. There are a few others but those are the most common.  Is your Network Health icon Green, Yellow or Red?

Thanks

Windows Home Server
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 10:13 PM
  • Sorry about the delay, I've been very busy.

I TRIED to run chkdsk over last night, but I don't think it did anything. I logged in using RDP and set it running as per the forum topic, except I told it to append the details to a file so I could see what had gone on. I looked at the file this morning and it looked like it had only done one disc. I saw in the network health thing that there are CRC errors, so I figured it is indeed a disc issue.

To that end, I went out and bought 2x 1TB drives today and I'm in the process of installing them. The problem is that I've got 4 SATA ports and all are currently full, so I've got to take a disc out to make room. This would be fine, I've got enough free space to do that, but when I'm running the remove disc function it seems to stop responding both (the console and ping cease to respond). I had to reset the server and now I'm trying it again.

What could be causing it to stop responding like that?

I will look into the toolkit thing.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 1:04 PM
  • I also run into the same problem trying to open up a movie with vlc.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 1:57 PM
  • Anjow said:

when I'm running the remove disc function it seems to stop responding both (the console and ping cease to respond). I had to reset the server and now I'm trying it again.

What could be causing it to stop responding like that?

When you remove a disk it migrates files to the other disks in the pool. If you were receiving CRC errors prior to removing the disks, it's possible that the system locked up when it hit a bad block (if it had a block block). Without looking at the event logs, I'm guessing.

You can check the event logs and see if they have any information. Since you do not have the toolkit, you will have to remote desktop into the server and check them on the administrator's desktop.

Thanks!
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:15 PM
  • Pettakos said:

I also run into the same problem trying to open up a movie with vlc.

Please submit a bug for this on Connect with both client and server CABs. Please be sure to list the VLC version you are using as well.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 4:16 PM
  • Lara Jones said:

You can check the event logs and see if they have any information. Since you do not have the toolkit, you will have to remote desktop into the server and check them on the administrator's desktop.

Thanks!

Windows Home Server

I did this and saw loads of event #7 reports. They say that hard disc 4 has a bad block. Would that be the 4th disc in the Server Storage pane? If not, how would I determine which disc 4 is? The 4th one in the Server Storage pane shows as having the OS on it I think, and the Remove feature seems to be greyed out for it.

I also saw lots of event #55 at what looks like the time I was doing chkdsk overnight. They say that "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\U". I'm guessing this ties in with disc #4. I'm running a chkdsk on that now. Thanks for all your help so far.

Edit: I'm guessing that the volume I'm running chkdsk on couldn't be the OS volume because then chkdsk /x /r wouldn't work without a restart. And it is working. So I guess I'm back to "how do I determine which disc #4 is?".
    Monday, March 16, 2009 5:14 PM
  • Anjow said:

I did this and saw loads of event #7 reports. They say that hard disc 4 has a bad block. Would that be the 4th disc in the Server Storage pane? If not, how would I determine which disc 4 is? The 4th one in the Server Storage pane shows as having the OS on it I think, and the Remove feature seems to be greyed out for it.

I also saw lots of event #55 at what looks like the time I was doing chkdsk overnight. They say that "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\U". I'm guessing this ties in with disc #4. I'm running a chkdsk on that now. Thanks for all your help so far.

Edit: I'm guessing that the volume I'm running chkdsk on couldn't be the OS volume because then chkdsk /x /r wouldn't work without a restart. And it is working. So I guess I'm back to "how do I determine which disc #4 is?".

It depends.  If your disks are all the same make/model/size this can be difficult. 

When you are using the administrator's desktop, if you navigate to c:\fs\U and get the properties, you may be able to judge by the size; however, if your server is set up like mine, this will not be helpful. I have all 1TB drives by the same manufacturer and the properties show all the same size. We are making this easier in the next version but for now? It's rather hard.

The disk management add-in may help but a few people have been having trouble since the last update. You can try installing it and see if it works for you.

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 6:58 PM
  • The chkdsk results are in and it shows 0KB in bad sectors - does this mean the disc I scanned wasn't the problem one?

As for which disc it is, I think I worked it out using the tips you provided. I looked at the properties like you said and it said the space is 465GB - that narrows it down to two discs, the free space was 22.2GB and so I looked in disc management and saw the only 465GB disc with 22.2GB free space is "ST3500320AS" - a model number I presume will show up on the physical disc.

Now let's hope it doesn't crash as much when I'm trying to run the removal process on this one.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:07 PM
  • Anjow said:

The chkdsk results are in and it shows 0KB in bad sectors - does this mean the disc I scanned wasn't the problem one?

As for which disc it is, I think I worked it out using the tips you provided. I looked at the properties like you said and it said the space is 465GB - that narrows it down to two discs, the free space was 22.2GB and so I looked in disc management and saw the only 465GB disc with 22.2GB free space is "ST3500320AS" - a model number I presume will show up on the physical disc.

Now let's hope it doesn't crash as much when I'm trying to run the removal process on this one.

Please make sure you are navigating to the drives via C:\fs\X where X is a variable indicating the the drives.

What cmd did you use when you ran chkdsk?

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:15 PM
  • The error log for event 55 said that C:\fs\U was faulty and to run chkdsk on it so I can "chkdsk /x /r C:\fs\U".

However in deleting some data I found that a certain file reports CRC errors and wouldn't delete, and that file was located on C:\fs\L which is my 400GB WD.

Would this indicate that C:\fs\L was the one with problems? I don't really know what to make of it. The ntfs error 55 said that "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\U" but this file is on c:\fs\L and the chkdsk of C:\fs\U returned what looked like no errors. It all confuses me.
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:20 PM
  • Anjow said:

The error log for event 55 said that C:\fs\U was faulty and to run chkdsk on it so I can "chkdsk /x /r C:\fs\U".

However in deleting some data I found that a certain file reports CRC errors and wouldn't delete, and that file was located on C:\fs\L which is my 400GB WD.

Would this indicate that C:\fs\L was the one with problems? I don't really know what to make of it. The ntfs error 55 said that "The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume C:\fs\U" but this file is on c:\fs\L and the chkdsk of C:\fs\U returned what looked like no errors. It all confuses me.

If you check the various event 55's they may refer to more than one drive. I've seen more than one drive fail at the same time.  Ken has a post here which explains how to run chkdsk on all your drives.  If you have a large storage pool, this will take a very long time.

Also, and I doubt this is related, have you checked Seagate's KB on their drives?

Thanks
    Windows Home Server
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:35 PM
  • In addition to what Lara has said, you also need to know that multiple disks "failing" may indicate that there's nothing wrong with the disks themselves, particularly if reported failure locations seem to shift around from disk to disk and cluster to cluster on the disks. This is usually indicative of a power supply issue (power supplies weaken over time; one that was barely adequate when the system was built may be severely stressed a year later), cabling (especially if two disks on a single IDE ribbon cable are affected) or disk controller issue (particularly if all the errors are localized to one controller).

Sorting this kind of issue is fairly difficult. I usually wind up resorting to swapping parts one at a time until the problem goes away...

Monday, March 16, 2009 7:44 PM
  • Since it takes so long to do all of them I was just starting to do them one at a time, based on which I was guessing was the most likely to have a problem. I do have that script saved on the desktop and I did try to run it once but to run on the OS drive it had to reboot - I don't know if it actually DID anything because it was offline for a long time, there was no evidence that it had and I don't have a graphics card in this machine.

I too plan to replace parts one at a time, starting with the discs I bought today. Also - the PSU is new (well, a month old) and should be up to the job, I think. It's a 450W (either Tagan or FSP I think) and is running just the 4 SATA and 1 IDE HDDs and an Athlon64 3000+.

Edit: I tried to run chkdsk on C:\fs\L but it tells me "The type of file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives." - I'm guessing that's because it's the one I was trying to remove earlier (before it crashed)? What am I to do if it keeps crashing when I try to remove this disc and I can't run chkdsk on it?
    Monday, March 16, 2009 7:58 PM
  • Anjow said:

What am I to do if it keeps crashing when I try to remove this disc and I can't run chkdsk on it?

You shut your server down and disconnect the disk. Then you boot your server and remove it; it will be showing as "missing" in the console. Accept any warnings about data loss; since the disk is showing as "RAW" you may already have data loss, depending on what happened to the disk. You shouldn't see any such warnings if you had duplication turned on. If you're told that you will lose backups, that almost certainly means that you will lose your backup database (which is not duplicated), because there's no data redundancy within the database.

Monday, March 16, 2009 9:40 PM
  • Well some more things have happened now. Over last night I tried a final time to copy the stuff off the drive that seemed to have the errors - it got 7/8ths of the way through before freezing. I reset the server, as I did the previous two times, but this time it didn't end up responding to pings at all. I then went out and bought a graphics card so I could see what was going on with it. It turned out I was getting a BSOD just after the first Windows loading screen with a stop code of 24, which is an NTFS problem.

So what I've done now is taken the OS disc out, stuck it in another machine, run scandisk on the data partition but I can't even read the OS partition, it says it's corrupted and unreadable. I can only assume this was just bad luck striking THIS time I reset the machine and it somehow corrupted it because it wasn't shut down or something. I can't run scandisk on the OS partition at all, I right click it, go to properties, go to tools, then select to check it for errors, tell it to try and fix filesystem errors and bad sectors, then the scanning program just closes without doing anything. The data partition on that disc works and can be scanned just fine.

So the next step in this saga is getting that disc working again. Can anyone suggest how I can recover from this latest problem? My father suggested the MBR might be corrupt but didn't suggest how to fix that.

A photo of the BSOD is here, if it's of any use:

http://i42.tinypic.com/iefsz6.jpg

(The last block is all 0)

I really appreciate all the help so far.
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 3:53 PM
  • If it's essential that you recover the data on that disk then I assume that money is no object. In that case you can send the disk out to a data recovery service. This is very expensive, though; usually they will charge hundreds of dollars just to look at a disk, and in most cases they will charge thousands for actual recovery.

Short of that, you can try any of a number of data recovery tools in the $50-$250 dollar range. Depending on what's wrong with the drive, you may be able to recover some, or even most, data off the disk. Or the disk may have failed completely, in which case you'll get back nothing.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009 5:47 PM
  • Oh it's not essential, I just preferred it if I could get it back. Most of the stuff I can get again, it will just take a long time.

Judging by your reply I'm guessing that you mean there's no chance of recovering the disc that had the OS on it and making it bootable? In which case would my next step to be to put the new disc that I have in, try and reinstall the OS using the reinstall function in the installer and then what? Would that procedure try and recover stuff from the other discs that are fine, or would that all be gone too?
    Tuesday, March 17, 2009 7:40 PM
  • Anjow said:

Oh it's not essential, I just preferred it if I could get it back. Most of the stuff I can get again, it will just take a long time.

Judging by your reply I'm guessing that you mean there's no chance of recovering the disc that had the OS on it and making it bootable?

Probably not.  Besides, clearly that drive is having issues.  Why would you want to continue to use it?  Get the data off (if possible), then junk it.

Anjow said:

In which case would my next step to be to put the new disc that I have in, try and reinstall the OS using the reinstall function in the installer and then what? Would that procedure try and recover stuff from the other discs that are fine, or would that all be gone too?

You want to do a Server Reinstallation (making sure all drives are in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen).  NOTE:  If you have to add drivers at that screen, you will probably also need to add the same drivers after the first reboot, when there is a short window of opportunity to press F6 to load additional drivers.

It will create the OS on the new drive, then go through all of the secondary drives and create tombstones for those folders/files on the primary drive.  (Just make sure you select Server Reinstallation because the other option, New Installation, will wipe everything.)  Also, the last step - re-creating tombstones - can take quite a while and it will appear that it's frozen.  Just let the process run.

Wednesday, March 18, 2009 2:14 AM
  • Okay, thanks very much. It looks like I'll lose maybe less than 1/3rd of the data I had then, which I can live with.
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 9:24 AM
  • kariya21 said:
    You want to do a Server Reinstallation (making sure all drives are in the Load Additional Storage Drivers screen).  NOTE:  If you have to add drivers at that screen, you will probably also need to add the same drivers after the first reboot, when there is a short window of opportunity to press F6 to load additional drivers.

I have all the drives in except the one that had the OS on it and got corrupted, and the one that I think was damaged. My problem now is that I see all the drives that should be there in the list, but I can't select Server Reinstallation from the dropdown box - there is only New Installation. Do I have to put the damaged data drive back in as well or something? Will it not work unless ALL the drives except the original OS one are present? When I try with the dodgy one back in it waits forever on 'Setup is initializing'.

If I put the OS drive (which seemingly can't be read in my other machine and caused BSODs on booting Windows - I think) back in, it shows me the server restore option. In this situation it's with my 400GB WD drive with physical problems replaced by a 1TB Hitachi drive. Is this what I want? I thought that this disc was dodgy too? I'm confused (as usual).
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009 3:56 PM
  • Anjow said:

I have all the drives in except the one that had the OS on it and got corrupted, and the one that I think was damaged. My problem now is that I see all the drives that should be there in the list, but I can't select Server Reinstallation from the dropdown box - there is only New Installation. Do I have to put the damaged data drive back in as well or something?

Yes, all secondary drives need to be present.  If you have 2 failing/failed drives (one of which is the primary drive), my suggestion would be to get a brand new drive, make sure it's the only one connected to the server, and do a New Installation.

Anjow said:

Will it not work unless ALL the drives except the original OS one are present?

Correct.

Anjow said:

When I try with the dodgy one back in it waits forever on 'Setup is initializing'.

If I put the OS drive (which seemingly can't be read in my other machine and caused BSODs on booting Windows - I think) back in, it shows me the server restore option. In this situation it's with my 400GB WD drive with physical problems replaced by a 1TB Hitachi drive. Is this what I want? I thought that this disc was dodgy too? I'm confused (as usual).

Considering you have 2 potentially bad hard drives at the same time, I would completely abandon that installation and start over from scratch.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 4:26 AM
  • Thanks for the info. Say I start over from scratch, I've got 3 drives that are still working perfectly and still have data on them - will there be a way to get that back on the server? Is there a way to do this rebuilding of tombstones after a fresh install? I don't really understand how the filing system works - could I just stick them in my other PC and take the data off and transfer it to the server over the network or something?

Indeed, I think I've actually got all the old tombstones intact on the data partition of the OS drive - that partition is totally readable, it's only the small OS partition that isn't.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 8:54 AM
  • Anjow said:

... could I just stick them in my other PC and take the data off and transfer it to the server over the network or something? ...

Since the disks are formatted with NTFS, and the files are just files (albeit in a hidden directory), yes. This is the only way you will be able to recover your files in a scenario where multiple disks, including the system disk, have failed.

Thursday, March 19, 2009 11:52 AM
  • Okie dokie, not ideal but doable. Hopefully this concludes my relentless questioning. You have all been incredibly helpful, thanks.
    Thursday, March 19, 2009 7:14 PM