Coding Challenge II RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hi friends,

I have just now completed my second coding challenge. The questions were as usual, one was as simple as that and the second one needed a few minutes of coding. How many of you have completed and how do you feel abt the questions???

All the best to all....

Saturday, October 27, 2007 9:45 AM

Answers

• was ok..type....
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:04 AM
  • Just tell me one thing.....I have completed my coding challenge, but in the second problem, however i changed the values of my variables, the output value remained the same!!!......is this the problem with my program or anything else??.....I checked the complete program thrice, yet there was no infinite loop or any loop which prevented my program to be completely executed......the output printed was constant even though i changed the values of all the variables of the program.......

Saturday, October 27, 2007 3:00 PM
  • As usual, both were easy but one was slightly harder. Actually, I spent more time on the 1st question because I was converting hours to seconds by dividing by 3600 Sad

Overall the test was a disaster for me.

I lost power 5 mins in to the coding challenge. I submitted my first solution from my main comp. Then it went off because my UPS died (didn't charge it the previous day). So I went to my old comp. I was about to submit the 2nd solution, then my internet went off. So I went to my laptop and called up VSNL for dial up number and again did it in the laptop and finally submitted the 2nd solution. Then the power came back on and my 2nd computer got internet again and my test resumed there again. I wasn't sure what would happen if I just hit finish from the 2nd comp. So I submitted it again on the 2nd comp.

So overall, I submitted the 1st question 3 times from 3 different computers and 2nd question 2 times from 2 different computers. Although I finished everything in less than 1 and a half hours, I am not sure how I will be evaluated now.

Swapneel_Autade_160e9e wrote:

Just tell me one thing.....I have completed my coding challenge, but in the second problem, however i changed the values of my variables, the output value remained the same!!!......is this the problem with my program or anything else??.....I checked the complete program thrice, yet there was no infinite loop or any loop which prevented my program to be completely executed......the output printed was constant even though i changed the values of all the variables of the program.......

Maybe you forgot to compile the program before running it again?

Saturday, October 27, 2007 5:05 PM
  • as usual, one question was a 1line solution, while other was a bit longer, required thinking .. but 1.5 hours was more than enough Smile/
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 6:43 PM

• ta...did it..................
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:57 AM
  • The first question was really easier but the second problem was a bit tough as it asks for some pointer stuff.I got messed up with it finally submitted well before time........... 

Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:42 AM
  • Ya i ahve also completed.

Any one of you got the results?????????????????????
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:25 AM
  • I participated without reading the rules or other stuff in detail .. Anyways do You have to do it like topcoder na just return the required answer or you have to use standard input/output to output the solution????

Secondly i got a strange error while submitting though it was a warning! Undefined reference in some object file. Well but no warnings and errors while compiling and running. Anyone can tell why that happenned???

Regards,

Anand Mazumdar

http://profile.iiita.ac.in/akmazumdar_b05

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:33 AM
  • am not able to log into student rockstar website ...its says window live id facing problemwat should i do..can some1 give me address of the page it takes u where u fill ur email address
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:35 AM
  • Ya I hav completed it...........

I agree wid all that 1st one is very easy just one line inside  main()

but second one is a bit tougher,

i completed ths 2nd  wid a warning that returning address of local variable.......

so i want to know if there is warning then it will taken as answer or not ...............

Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:42 AM
  • Hoping guies all of u do well...............

Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:43 AM
  •  

@abhinash

I think yours is wrong dude .. This warning occurs when you try to return a local pointer or array inside a function .... So if you initialize the array at compile time like you did it will return the address of the local variable which i feel is wrong .. You need to initialize the array at run time using new

Anyways me not that sure either .... I googled up for this ... On the safe side use only vectors Smile

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:14 PM
  • so finally i too completed it but in the secons question i got no compilation error but still i wasnot able to submit it as while submittion it said remove compilation errors...it was even running fine...so i used live support and he said he will submit manually....hopefully am saved ....but am still  wondering why it showed like this..

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:58 PM
  • ya ive finished coding challenge II yest afternoon...both the questions were easy...
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:07 PM
  • waise will i get registration points for every coding challenge or only once

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:40 PM
  • I 2 have finished the coding challenge yesterday itself. But due to forum problem was unable to post. Both the questions were as usual. 1st one very easy, 2nd one bit tougher. I completed both well within time. I am satisfied with my solution, let's see what happens.

@Anmol

You get registration point for every coding challenge.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:59 PM
  • thankx buddy....

Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:46 PM
  • i got mixed up between the dates,n thought it was on 29th ....damn i missed it!hope to attend it the next time around

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:37 AM
  • Hi Rohan,

Note that the coding challenges always come in the weekend  and mostly in the last week of a month.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:12 PM

All replies

• was ok..type....
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 11:04 AM
  • Just tell me one thing.....I have completed my coding challenge, but in the second problem, however i changed the values of my variables, the output value remained the same!!!......is this the problem with my program or anything else??.....I checked the complete program thrice, yet there was no infinite loop or any loop which prevented my program to be completely executed......the output printed was constant even though i changed the values of all the variables of the program.......

Saturday, October 27, 2007 3:00 PM
  • As usual, both were easy but one was slightly harder. Actually, I spent more time on the 1st question because I was converting hours to seconds by dividing by 3600 Sad

Overall the test was a disaster for me.

I lost power 5 mins in to the coding challenge. I submitted my first solution from my main comp. Then it went off because my UPS died (didn't charge it the previous day). So I went to my old comp. I was about to submit the 2nd solution, then my internet went off. So I went to my laptop and called up VSNL for dial up number and again did it in the laptop and finally submitted the 2nd solution. Then the power came back on and my 2nd computer got internet again and my test resumed there again. I wasn't sure what would happen if I just hit finish from the 2nd comp. So I submitted it again on the 2nd comp.

So overall, I submitted the 1st question 3 times from 3 different computers and 2nd question 2 times from 2 different computers. Although I finished everything in less than 1 and a half hours, I am not sure how I will be evaluated now.

Swapneel_Autade_160e9e wrote:

Just tell me one thing.....I have completed my coding challenge, but in the second problem, however i changed the values of my variables, the output value remained the same!!!......is this the problem with my program or anything else??.....I checked the complete program thrice, yet there was no infinite loop or any loop which prevented my program to be completely executed......the output printed was constant even though i changed the values of all the variables of the program.......

Maybe you forgot to compile the program before running it again?

Saturday, October 27, 2007 5:05 PM
  • as usual, one question was a 1line solution, while other was a bit longer, required thinking .. but 1.5 hours was more than enough Smile/
    Saturday, October 27, 2007 6:43 PM

• ta...did it..................
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 2:57 AM
  • The first question was really easier but the second problem was a bit tough as it asks for some pointer stuff.I got messed up with it finally submitted well before time........... 

Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:42 AM
  • Ya i ahve also completed.

Any one of you got the results?????????????????????
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 7:25 AM
  • I participated without reading the rules or other stuff in detail .. Anyways do You have to do it like topcoder na just return the required answer or you have to use standard input/output to output the solution????

Secondly i got a strange error while submitting though it was a warning! Undefined reference in some object file. Well but no warnings and errors while compiling and running. Anyone can tell why that happenned???

Regards,

Anand Mazumdar

http://profile.iiita.ac.in/akmazumdar_b05

Sunday, October 28, 2007 8:33 AM
  • am not able to log into student rockstar website ...its says window live id facing problemwat should i do..can some1 give me address of the page it takes u where u fill ur email address
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 10:35 AM
  • Ya I hav completed it...........

I agree wid all that 1st one is very easy just one line inside  main()

but second one is a bit tougher,

i completed ths 2nd  wid a warning that returning address of local variable.......

so i want to know if there is warning then it will taken as answer or not ...............

Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:42 AM
  • Hoping guies all of u do well...............

Sunday, October 28, 2007 11:43 AM
  •  

@abhinash

I think yours is wrong dude .. This warning occurs when you try to return a local pointer or array inside a function .... So if you initialize the array at compile time like you did it will return the address of the local variable which i feel is wrong .. You need to initialize the array at run time using new

Anyways me not that sure either .... I googled up for this ... On the safe side use only vectors Smile

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:14 PM
  • so finally i too completed it but in the secons question i got no compilation error but still i wasnot able to submit it as while submittion it said remove compilation errors...it was even running fine...so i used live support and he said he will submit manually....hopefully am saved ....but am still  wondering why it showed like this..

Sunday, October 28, 2007 12:58 PM
  • ya ive finished coding challenge II yest afternoon...both the questions were easy...
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:07 PM
  • waise will i get registration points for every coding challenge or only once

Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:40 PM
  • I 2 have finished the coding challenge yesterday itself. But due to forum problem was unable to post. Both the questions were as usual. 1st one very easy, 2nd one bit tougher. I completed both well within time. I am satisfied with my solution, let's see what happens.

@Anmol

You get registration point for every coding challenge.
    Sunday, October 28, 2007 4:59 PM
  • thankx buddy....

Sunday, October 28, 2007 5:46 PM
  • i got mixed up between the dates,n thought it was on 29th ....damn i missed it!hope to attend it the next time around

Monday, October 29, 2007 7:37 AM
  • Hi Rohan,

Note that the coding challenges always come in the weekend  and mostly in the last week of a month.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 5:12 PM
  • The coding challenge was easy this time also I think the level of coding challenge has decreased form the previous edition due to the reduction in time too.

Tuesday, October 30, 2007 8:36 PM
  • Hello Everyone,

The questions were easy but i submitted the solutions 2 or 3 times as to how i was unable to know whether my solutions were submitted or not.

Kindly help me out as to what will happen next.

Wednesday, October 31, 2007 8:59 AM
  • Both que. were easy..
    Wednesday, October 31, 2007 2:21 PM

• I had done only one ques in second coding challange..............
    Tuesday, November 20, 2007 7:49 PM