Where can I get this Vista video codecs question answered? RRS feed

• Question

• I've put the following in another forum seemingly not often used.  Where can i post it here effectively or where might the good advice be?

"After 18 months using Ubuntu and then getting scammed trying ot buy a second Windows 7 license my laptop has its original Vista Home Premium back on it.  This is from a recovery disc, it's a Toshiba Equium L40.

After the luxury of Windows 7 and Ubuntu I'm short of many codecs it seems.  Media Player won't play some converted avi files (converted from my Flip camcorder's mp4 files) even though that's a Windows thing.  also, when I look in the properties tabs of a video file a bitrate that should be in the 10,000 to 20,000 kbps area generally says a tenth of that, where the same file looked at in Windows 7 on my desktop pc (genuine license and original media bought at Comet in the UK) the bit rate is correct.  I have installed the Vista service packs and all updates.

Can I resolve this easily enough?  I think I remember trying a third party codec pack once before that didn't solve things, and I'm also wary of the surces of these things, regarding viruses etc.

Thanks."
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 11:26 AM

Answers

All replies