WHS with PP1 Shutdown, Minutes after Startup RRS feed

• Question

• I've been running Windows Home Server with Power Pack 1 for the past few weeks - three Windows clients and their files backed up nicely (love it!) - when all of a sudden I noticed that the server had shut down unexpectedly.

I started it up again and logged in to see what's happened, and within minutes it had shutdown again.

I tried a few different things - looking at the event log for clues and finding nothing.

I've looked at some of the similar forum threads - tried the SBCore.exe hack - no luck.

So I reinstalled the server (vanilla - no modifications), and I'm still having difficulties.

Rarely does the server stay up long enough for me to troubleshoot.  It's rare that I get 5-10 minutes before it shuts down.  Not even long enough to install updates.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try next?

Thanks,

Derick

- "Shifting the effort of compliance from people to technology"
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 5:30 AM

Answers

• Hi all - thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

I ended up figuring out the source of the problem.

It's a self-build - I didn't build the PC myself, but it isn't retail WHS hardware. It is a full version of the software.

Previously the machine was a (slow) Windows Vista desktop that I was using as a file and print server for the family. (Too bad it can't be a print server any more - poor print driver support out there for Windows Server 2003.)

I don't think the problem is thermal or power... but it was by looking at the Power options in the Control Panel that allowed me to uncover the problem.... :-)

One bizarre symptom I saw - was that occasionally Windows Calculator would start up for no apparent reason.

As I'm browsing through the Power options on the Advanced tab, I noticed the option called "When I press the power button on my computer" is set to "Shut down".  So I change it to "Ask me what to do".

Then, on a fairly regular basis, WHS would start asking me if I'd like to restart the computer (as if I had pressed ALT-F4 on the desktop or the power off key).  At least this time I can cancel out, and keep the server running. While closing Calculator here and there.

I look at my Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard and say "hmmmm".

A short time after, I've successfully installed the Windows 2000 versions of IntelliType Pro 6.3 and IntelliPoint 6.3 from the Microsoft hardware site (whew - I was worred they wouldn't install), and I'm no longer plagued by haunted key presses. No more Calc, no more "Shut Down Windows" dialogs.

(Too bad Windows Update didn't suggest these - would have saved me some trouble.)

Thanks again for the quick responses - I'm all better now.

Derick

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Derick,
    unexpected shutdowns often point to hardware issues.
    Maybe thermal problems (CPU or disk overheating?) or issues with the Power supply?
    Is it a self build or a purchased WHS system?

If it is a system with VGA interface, connect a monitor and change the settings of WHS as follows:
    Open Start/Control Panel/System/Advanced tab.
    In section Startup and Recovery click Settings.
    Uncheck the checkbox Automatically restart.
    Click OK.
    In case, there is still some control by the OS, you should see a BSOD at the next crash with some more informations.
    You can also check for dmp files in Windows folder or in %SystemRoot%\Minidump.
    If there is nothing at all, the hardware theory would be supported. In this case no BSOD is seen, because there is no control from OS any more.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 8:01 AM
  • Do you have a full copy or an evaluation copy.
    If you have an eval copy then you may find that the trial period has run out. The server is suppossed to shut you out of the console when your time is up.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:32 AM
  • bucket23 said:

Do you have a full copy or an evaluation copy.
    If you have an eval copy then you may find that the trial period has run out. The server is suppossed to shut you out of the console when your time is up.

not after 10 minutes. Trial reboots the server every 2 hours, if the evaluation period is over.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 9:40 AM
  • Hi all - thanks for the ideas and suggestions.

I ended up figuring out the source of the problem.

It's a self-build - I didn't build the PC myself, but it isn't retail WHS hardware. It is a full version of the software.

Previously the machine was a (slow) Windows Vista desktop that I was using as a file and print server for the family. (Too bad it can't be a print server any more - poor print driver support out there for Windows Server 2003.)

I don't think the problem is thermal or power... but it was by looking at the Power options in the Control Panel that allowed me to uncover the problem.... :-)

One bizarre symptom I saw - was that occasionally Windows Calculator would start up for no apparent reason.

As I'm browsing through the Power options on the Advanced tab, I noticed the option called "When I press the power button on my computer" is set to "Shut down".  So I change it to "Ask me what to do".

Then, on a fairly regular basis, WHS would start asking me if I'd like to restart the computer (as if I had pressed ALT-F4 on the desktop or the power off key).  At least this time I can cancel out, and keep the server running. While closing Calculator here and there.

I look at my Microsoft Wireless Desktop Elite Keyboard and say "hmmmm".

A short time after, I've successfully installed the Windows 2000 versions of IntelliType Pro 6.3 and IntelliPoint 6.3 from the Microsoft hardware site (whew - I was worred they wouldn't install), and I'm no longer plagued by haunted key presses. No more Calc, no more "Shut Down Windows" dialogs.

(Too bad Windows Update didn't suggest these - would have saved me some trouble.)

Thanks again for the quick responses - I'm all better now.

Derick

Wednesday, October 15, 2008 7:43 AM
  • "Crazy keyboard" - that's something new.
    Thanks for sharing that experience.
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 9:23 AM
  • Olaf,
    I thought the WHS shuts you out of the console access straight away after the trial period ends. I know it reboots after two hours.
    I haven't experienced it myself. Does the console shut out every two hours as well?
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:24 AM
  • To be honest - I don't know, since I never had to use a trial version after expiration.
    But since I never have read about that fact, I would assume only the reboots are an issue with expired trial. At least you should still have a chance to access your data and backups (at least I cannot imagine, that the WHS team would force users to buy the full product by denieing access to the data), which you can't (at least for backups) if the console is closing instantly. (And in the original posting never was spoken about console closing, but about the server shutting down.)
    Olaf
    Wednesday, October 15, 2008 10:36 AM