Change default folder RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,
    If I create a folder from the Live Desktop and configure it to syncronice with my computer - it will end up on my Desktop on my conputer. Is there a way to configure the "default root" folder" wher all of the suncroniced folder will end up?

Björn Axell SCE MVP - Advisec AB
    http://blog.advisec.com
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 7:20 PM

Answers

• Hi Björn,

Unfortunately not - as soon as you set it to synchornise remotely (i.e. not via the local live mesh client) it will not ask you where to synch the files to, but choose the desktop. In fact, that's currently the top rated suggestion! You can add your vote here and see other suggestions here.

You can move the sync by doing the following:

1. remove the folder from sync on that computer
    2. move the folder (the files will not be delete in stage 1) to the location you want to sync to
    3. sync the folder with the computer through the Live Mesh client, but specify the existing folder
    4. Live Mesh will ask what to do with the files, select "Merge" and you should be synced at the new location, without having to download all the files again

Hope that helps,

Oren
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:26 AM

All replies

• Hi Björn,

Unfortunately not - as soon as you set it to synchornise remotely (i.e. not via the local live mesh client) it will not ask you where to synch the files to, but choose the desktop. In fact, that's currently the top rated suggestion! You can add your vote here and see other suggestions here.

You can move the sync by doing the following:

1. remove the folder from sync on that computer
    2. move the folder (the files will not be delete in stage 1) to the location you want to sync to
    3. sync the folder with the computer through the Live Mesh client, but specify the existing folder
    4. Live Mesh will ask what to do with the files, select "Merge" and you should be synced at the new location, without having to download all the files again

Hope that helps,

Oren
    Monday, February 2, 2009 12:26 AM
  • Thanks Oren,

I was tearing my hair out with a netbook, PC and laptop with Live Mesh always seeming to mix and match where it placed new folders. All my old ones stayed in My Documents. All my new ones seemed to end up on the desktop no matter where I put them and I couldn't work out how to shift them. I even uninstalled and reinstalled.

Live Mesh is a fantastic way on keeping files in sync, so at last I seem to have the folders where I want them.

Cheers,

Bill
    Canberra, Australia
    Friday, February 6, 2009 5:51 AM
  • Hey Bill,

I certainly hear where you're coming from! If you haven't already, I'd suggest voting on this suggestion as a way of floating it to the top of the team's "To-Do" list!

Cheers,

Oren
    Friday, February 6, 2009 7:29 AM
  • this is useful for more than just user preferences - esp. for scenario where the default drive does not have sufficient space to hold all the files.

Friday, August 14, 2009 1:50 AM
  • this is useful for more than just user preferences - esp. for scenario where the default drive does not have sufficient space to hold all the files.

There isn't a setting right now, but when you first set up a device to join your Mesh and the existing folders are offered, they appear ghosted on the desktop. When you then click to set the sync options for each ghosted folder, you can change the location before the sync begins. If you perform a series of setups, the subsequent setups remember the previous location.
    -steve
    Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Saturday, August 15, 2009 1:21 AM