Problem adding new Hard Disk RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've run into quite a problem in the process of attempting to add a new 1TB drive to my setup.

I started off with 4 HDDs in my setup, 2 x 200GB and 2 x 500GB. I had less than 200GB free space on my WHS, so I copied off files from my file shares to one of my PCs until I had over 200GB free space on my server. After this, from the WHS Console, I chose one of the 200GB drives to remove from my storage pool. The system reshuffled my free space until the 200GB HDD was empty, and finished the removal process. I then shut down my WHS, remove my 200GB HDD, and install my new 1TB HDD.

This is where the problem begins.

My System HDD (one of the 500GB HDD) suddenly became unstable after I installed the new HDD. It boots up WHS, but it doesn't take long before the system can no longer see the HDD and starts to give me "Delayed Write Failed" errors (Then Crashes). While it's running, I can login locally, I can remotely access the shares, I can RDP into the WHS. The only thing I can't do is access the WHS Console directly using the WHS Connector software.

Also, Unfortunately the system always crashes before I have the chance to add the new 1TB HDD into the storage pool.

So the problem is this. With the instability of the old System HDD, I want to try reinstalling WHS onto the new 1TB HDD. However, since I'm at the very limit of my current storage capacity, my System HDD's DATA partition is completely filled, and I would lose data if I re-install WHS on a new drive (I assume... I'm under the impression that the System HDD's DATA Partition had to be empty in order to move the System partition to a new HDD).

Any thoughts on how to migrate to a new System Drive without losing data? Or conversely, any ideas why my System HDD might have suddenly become unstable after i pulled out the old HDD and installed the new one?

Any suggestions welcome. I've looked around the web for some advice but I haven't found anyone with a similar predicament.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:54 AM

Answers

• Hi Olaf!

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the system's crashing before I can get to the event logs, and I didn't think to check them while in Safe Mode (Which seems to not crash as frequently).

I went ahead and I'm attempting a re-installation of of the OS. So far so good. Once the re-install is complete, my plan is to add the new HDD to the storage pool. Make sure the data partition from the System HDD is empty, then perform another re-install on a new HDD.

I'm hoping after this re-install the system is stable.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:28 PM

All replies

• A couple things to note to make the problem even more confusing. Everytime WHS can find the System HDD and starts giving me Delayed Write Failed errors, it eventually blue screens, and on reboot, even the BIOS can no longer see the HDD. On a second reboot, the HDD always re-appears.

However, I've also managed to boot into Safe Mode... And while I can't really do much in Safe Mode (Can't add the new 1TB HDD to the stoarge pool), the system is stable in Safe Mode and it doesn't crash.

Scratch that. It crashes in Safe Mode as well. Not while accessing C: though, but while performing a Disk Check on Drive D:
    • Edited by foofan Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:04 AM
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 5:51 AM
  • A reason could be, that the cable between the disk and the motherboard or the power cable is not properly seated. These SATA cables are very sensitive and often not too well mounted.
    Another possibility would be a weak power supply. If this comes to the limits for the built in hardware the disk may stop spinning causing the disappearing.
    And last but not least - also (and especially) a new disk can be faulty.

Any errors in the event log of the server?
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:19 AM
  • I've tried swithing SATA cables and reseating them, as well as swapping power connectors. It may be a power supply issue, but I'm guessing it isn't since the system had no problems copying data from one HDD to the next while I removed the old HDD from the WHS Console.

Shouldn't be an issue with the new disk either since I'm experiencing this issue with or without the new disk connected.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 6:28 PM
  • So let me repeat the question:
    Any errors in the event log of the server?

Olaf
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:24 PM
  • Hi Olaf!

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately the system's crashing before I can get to the event logs, and I didn't think to check them while in Safe Mode (Which seems to not crash as frequently).

I went ahead and I'm attempting a re-installation of of the OS. So far so good. Once the re-install is complete, my plan is to add the new HDD to the storage pool. Make sure the data partition from the System HDD is empty, then perform another re-install on a new HDD.

I'm hoping after this re-install the system is stable.
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 7:28 PM
  • Wish you good luck.
    Olaf
    Tuesday, September 30, 2008 9:00 PM