Should Live Mesh still be running properly? RRS feed

• Question

• I've had issues with Live Mesh not syncing recently and I thought it was due to the Live Sync Beta meaning that maybe the Mesh servers had been shut down - is that the case or should it be working properly? I have a folder shared with 5 study group members and several use XP so Live Sync Beta isn't an option for me, but I want to know if it's worth the hassle of troubleshooting the Mesh setup or if it has been obsoleted already.

This announcement suggests that Mesh will live on in some capacity so I doubt the Mesh beta functionality would have been shut down: http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/windows-live-whiplash-live-sync-reverts-back-to-live-mesh/7240?tag=nl.e589

I did have issues with Live Mesh constantly hogging a high % of CPU (and probably being linked to Microsoft Security Essentials regularly peaking to 50% CPU), but it was still actually syncing at that point. Any pointers much appreciated.

Saturday, August 28, 2010 10:44 AM

Answers

• Yes, the beta of Live Mesh still works and will continue to do so for an unspecified period of time when the new Live Sync/Live Mesh is released.

When a folder stops synchronizing, the steps to troubleshoot are:

1. Sign out of Live Mesh, reboot, sign back in. See if that works.

2. Change the affected folder sync settings to not sync with the problem PC (at www.mesh.com), save it, then change the folder settings to sync with that PC again. See if that works.

3. Remove the folder from the Mesh at www.mesh.com (stop synchronizing with all PCs). Then, add the folder back to the Mesh and configure the settings for the devices and users as desired. See if that works.

4. Remove the folder as in step 3, then uninstall Live Mesh on the problem PC. Reinstall Mesh, add the folder back.

Neither Mesh or MSE should be using 50% of CPU - the most common reason for this would be that you have another active security product installed along with MSE.

-steve

~ Microsoft MVP Windows Live ~ Windows Live OneCare| Live Mesh|MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator ~
    Monday, August 30, 2010 5:20 PM