Trouble selecting right country for purchase RRS feed

• Question

•  

when i go to put in my credit card information, the country is locked on united states, but i live in canada.
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 12:41 AM

Answers

•  Open IE and in Tools/Internet Options, verify that your language setting is correct for your country.

If it is not, click "Add" to select your language and country combination from the list.

Make that selection the default. It should appear at the top of the list.

Remove or demote other entries that are not appropriate for your country.

-steve

Saturday, June 7, 2008 12:49 AM

All replies

•  Open IE and in Tools/Internet Options, verify that your language setting is correct for your country.

If it is not, click "Add" to select your language and country combination from the list.

Make that selection the default. It should appear at the top of the list.

Remove or demote other entries that are not appropriate for your country.

-steve

Saturday, June 7, 2008 12:49 AM
  •  

okay that worked, but now i have a na new problem. i had a subscription on this computer under my moms name, and now i have just purchased the subscription under my name with my email. how do i sign in to my onecare with this new subscription from my email.
    Saturday, June 7, 2008 2:26 AM
  • You will need to uninstall and reinstall OneCare to change the subscriber information. Alternatively, if OneCare under your Mom's subscription is installed on another computer, use the OneCare Circle functionality to make that PC a hub PC and then remove your PC from the subscription by expanding details in the list of PCs on that other PC.

-steve

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 4:37 PM
  •  

This method for dealing with an email address change is nuts!  I have run into the same problem where I changed my email address and login email for my Windows Live ID.  Other things stayed associated to that ID.  It seems that only OneCare can't handle it.  So I follow the instructions to download RemoveMachine.exe, but it will not download (at least on Vista x86 SP1; haven't tried running up an XP VM to see if it will download there)  Also, the language setting was correct.

Tip: If you want to retain subscribers to a product, make it easy for them to renew.  Running them around in circles trying to download an app that won't download, making them remove and reinstall...  Most of the competing products simply have you enter a credit card number.  I hope as an MVP you are leaning on the product team hard regarding this issue.

Sunday, June 15, 2008 1:53 PM
  • A LiveID can't be changed, jbezdan. The alternate email address can easily be changed at http://account.live.com, but if you want to change the LiveID for a subscription from email@isp.com to email2@newisp.com, you cannot. You would need to cancel the subscription before renewal and purchase a new one with the new LiveID.

The issue is not OneCare, but with the Billing Account - http://billing.microsoft.com - and the fact that a suscription cannot be transferred.

-steve

Monday, June 16, 2008 5:12 PM
  •  

Well I don't think that is really the case.  I can log in to billing with the "new" Windows Live ID, which is really the "old" one and has all of the same info and services associated to it (TechNet sub, OneCare...).  From what I have seen, the ID can be changed all day long and "most" things that are associated to it follow.  OneCare just doesn't have the ability to handle when an ID is changed without using the RemoveMachine.exe.  People move and change ISPs, so Live IDs can be changed.  The only thing that I have encountered which is tied to a Live ID that I have not been able to get changed is my MCP/MCSE records.  Those are cast in stone, sealed in a vault and the key thrown away.  Luckily I can still access it with the old ID info.

Here is how it fixed the issue without a remove and reinstall: I renewed the subscription, then called tech support.  After playing 20 questions for 30 minutes and getting every letter of every word we exchanged repeated twice, they gave me the correct address for downloading the RemoveMachine.exe file: http://aquul.notlong.com (the one in the Help file has issues).  Once I ran that I was able to enter the "new" Windows Live ID again with no problem.  It took 40+ minutes of phone time to do this.  Why don't they just publish a KB article with a download link to the tool rather than having you sit on the phone for 40 mintues spelling words?

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 12:45 AM
  • Thanks for sharing the details of your experience. Clearly something has changed as changing the LiveID for a subscription was formerly not possible. Your experience, however painful, apparently shows that it can now be done.

-steve

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 4:33 PM