HP Proliant ML110 G5 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently running XP Pro on a HP Proliant ML110 G5, with a Xeon 3065 and 2 Gb memory to store my Video, Photos and music which is then streamed to a Netgear EVA 8000.

I am currently using two WD 500 Gb SATA drives in RAID1 via the embedded adaptec SATA controller, currently partitioned with C: @ 50 Gb OS, and D: @ 450 Gb data.  In addition to this I have a 250 Gb drive as a JBOD E drive on this controller which formatted but unused.

Will I be able to install WHS on the 250 GB drive, without losing the data on the RAID1 array,

If necessary I could pull the power leads to the RAID array whilst WHS installs, and then add the array at a later date.

What do you recommend.

Thanks

Paul

Friday, January 25, 2008 10:38 PM

All replies

• WHS will format any currently attached drives during setup.

WHS will also format any hard drives you attach later, if you tell it to add the drives to the storage pool. You don't have to add the drive to the storage pool if you don't want to; you can assign it a drive letter and access it as a normal disk, but you lose Drive Extender functionality for that drive (and that's unsupported by MS). 

There's no way to add a drive with data on it directly to the storage pool - WHS will always format it. If you want to preserve the data, you'll need to copy it somewhere else before adding the drives to the storage pool.

WHS also doesn't support RAID volumes (although people have done it anyway). WHS uses folder duplication and Drive Extender to protect data instead of RAID.

Read the Drive Extender whitepaper for more info: http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/F/C/2FC09C20-587F-4F16-AA33-C6C4C75FB3DD/Windows_Home_Server_Drive_Extender.pdf

Saturday, January 26, 2008 12:44 AM
  • Thanks a lot for the link to the whitepaper.

I think I'll copy my media data to a desktop, disconnect the power on the raid drives, Install the 120 day trial on the 250 Gb drive, copy the data back and see how I go. 

I feel more comforatable with a RAID1 array managed by myself, as opposed to shared folder dupilcation.  However times change.

I can always revert to XP Pro or install SBS 2003.

Thanks for the Help

Paul 

Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:31 PM
  • There's a few discussion threads on RAID around here, might be worth a dig. Some people have had great success with hardware RAID volumes and WHS (unsupported by MS, of course).

Saturday, January 26, 2008 10:44 PM
  • paul,
    i was hoping if could list me some problems you face when usning this hp proliant ml110 g5 with windows xp..
    i want to do the same...if their any major draw back.

Thanks

Rexq

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 3:34 AM
  •  rexq wrote:
    paul,
    i was hoping if could list me some problems you face when usning this hp proliant ml110 g5 with windows xp..
    i want to do the same...if their any major draw back.

Thanks

Rexq

As this is the Windows Home Server forum, if you would like to have a discussion on Windows XP and HP Proliants, could you move the discussion to one of the Windows XP forums please?

Andrew

Tuesday, June 17, 2008 6:29 AM
  •  

Dear Paul,

Can you please forward the link for Windows XP Pro drivers for Proliant ML 110G5 Server?

Amol Bhosale

Monday, June 23, 2008 10:34 AM
  • Hi Paul. I am trying to install windows xp professional on a HP Proliant ML110 G5. If I enabled the RAID1 before the installation Windows did not found the drives. I try to install and then enabled the RAID1 but a blue screen apears when windows boot.

Can you tell me how do you do to install windows xp i your HP Proliant ML110 G5 with RAID1 enabled?

Thank you.

Nicolás.

Monday, June 28, 2010 12:29 PM
  • I use the same server but used the drivers for Windows 2003 from the HP site. In the early days (I installed WHS a couple of years ago) I did get some driver issues (BSOD) but since then the server has been very stable. That said two weeks ago, the server rebooted about 3 times and I got a error message about recovering from a serious issue due to a driver issue. I couldn't find a problem and the whole think has settled down again.   
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010 7:23 AM