Windows Live OneCare Activation Issue RRS feed

• Question

•  

Hello,

When I try to activate One Care I get the follwoing error:

Cannot complete request

Your token cannot be used for this service. Try using a different token, or choose another service.

If you get this message more than once, report it as a recurring problem.

Message 7104

Please advise on how to correct.

Thanks,

Nick

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:32 PM

Answers

• I was able to install this key another system with no problems.  Then I installed on the problem system and logged into my account, then the key was recognized.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:12 PM

All replies

• Is the token a retail product key from inside a OneCare package?

Is OneCare a fresh install from CD or from http://onecare.live.com or were you using the beta? What version of OneCare is shown when you click on Help/About?

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 3:57 PM
  • Hello Stephen,

Yes, the token is from a Retail Product Key from a One Care CD Package.

I tried to install from CD and setup went to the Internet to get a newer version.

The version is 2.0.2500.14

Thanks for your help,

Nick

Friday, January 11, 2008 4:49 PM
  • That would be the latest version and is not a beta. You may want to verify that you are entering the correct characters for the key. I use a magnifying glass as they can be hard to read. If you believe that you've entered them correctly, you may want to see if you can exchange the retail copy at the store for another one or you may want to contact support. It is possible that your key is misprinted or is not in the system as a valid OneCare key. There was a problem in December with a block of keys on retail copies from Walmart, but that was resolved on the server side.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

You'll need to use the instructions to contact support without validation as a trial user.

-steve

Friday, January 11, 2008 5:06 PM
  • I was able to install this key another system with no problems.  Then I installed on the problem system and logged into my account, then the key was recognized.

Thanks for your help.

Monday, January 14, 2008 3:12 PM
  • I'm glad that you were able to activate on another system using the key and then activate the original PC with your LiveID. I wonder what the original problem was if it wasn't a simply typo...

No matter, you're in good shape now!

-steve

Monday, January 14, 2008 5:19 PM