Why does my product key no longer work? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I received a genuine copy of Windows 7 Pro x64 from University for my outstanding grades. I had this installed and working fine but it had eventually gotten slower and slower and yet my Ubuntu keeps chugging on. I let my flatmate use my PC and couldn't work out what was going wrong with it so I decided to backup all my stuff and do a fresh install.

Just before I formatted my partition Windows updated and then started saying that it was no longer genuine even though it has been activated and verified previously. Now my partition is gone, Windows put back the MBR so now I can't even boot into Ubuntu. Why is my key now invalid?

Cheers

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 8:15 AM

Answers

• "the_steiny" wrote in message news:43a2d76a-1bd1-43be-9987-33729b62f1c7...

Yes this occurs during the installation.

1) Like I said before I have used the key on a clean install several times before (but not concurrent installations of course), so it mustn't be an upgrade key.

2) This is possible but I only have 1 hand written copy of the key which I am 99% sure is the one I used before. Damn I wish I got the old key of the machine before formatting.

Again, this is definitely not an upgrade disc since I used the same one for previous clean installs and not OEM since it came from my University not from a manufacturer. I checked anyway and I can't see "Upgrade" or "For installation on a new PC".

As Colin said, there may be a problem with an MSDNAA Key, as some are one-time-use only, but since you say that you've used this Key repeatedly, and the problem occurs during the installation, rather than at activation, that's unlikely to be the problem.

If it is an MSDNAA Key, then I suggest that you contact the source to see if they have a record of your Key, and what license type it is - if so, then that will  at least eliminate one of the possibilities.

--

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:42 AM

All replies

• From the announcement above:

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011 1:15 PM
    Answerer
  • You have a number of separate issues here.

1) WIndows removed the MBR - you may need to repair the install of GRUB or whatever yu used as the boot manager for your Linux partition.

2) Your machine reported itself a being nin-genuine beofere the reformat. This can happen for a number of reasons other than the potential for it being a counterfeit copy - since you've now formatted, the probability is that we'll never know the true reason.

3) You say that your Key is now reporting as being invalid - the two most comon reasons for this are either misreading the Key, or using an upgrade Key for a Clean install. Check that you're inputting the key poperly. Check also that your install disk is not an Upgrade.

If your install disk is an upgrade, does your PC have an existing qualifying Windows install? If not then you need to reinstall the original OS that it came with, and then upgrade tht.

• Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Thursday, March 24, 2011 8:59 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, March 28, 2011 8:46 PM
    Wednesday, March 23, 2011 4:06 PM
  • Bit hard when I don't have an OS to boot into.
    Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:24 PM
  • Thanks Noel,

1. I'm not too worried about not booting into Ubuntu at the moment, I expected that to happen but I thought I would be able to get into Windows to be able to download the latest Ubuntu Live CD. It would be handy if you could still use a limited browser and write to media so I don't have to keep going back and forth between my work computer. My fault, I should have done this first.
    2. Yeah that was kind of weird, I was just about to do the upgrade when it happened so wasn't too concerned. In hind sight I should have been more concerned since now I can't install. It may have been the only lead I had thinking about it now.
    3. I checked and re-entered it multiple times so unless I wrote down the key wrong but I have reinstalled several times before this time and I'm pretty sure this is the key that I used. I'm sure I'm not misreading it. The disk is not an upgrade. Like I mentioned, this is strange because I have reinstalled several times from the same disc and I don't think I've ever had another key.

Is there anyway that I can submit my key to rule it out as a factor?

Cheers

Thursday, March 24, 2011 9:45 PM
  • Darin would be able to check the Key - he may post such a request with a temporary email address later.

Please complete your response to my question 3 (restated here ins more specific detail)

At exactly what point in the process is your Key being declared invalid? From what I can make out, it's during the actual installation, which means that there are almost only two reason for such an error message@-

1) You are attempting to do a clean install with an Upgrade Key

2) you are entering the wrong characters.

If your installation disk is an upgrade, then it will have the word 'Upgrade' in the top left quadrant of the disk. If it's an OEM System Builder disk, it will have the phrase 'For installation on a new PC' in the top half (can't remember whether left or right). A Retail Full install disk wwill have neither phrase on it. If it's an OEM Recovery disk, then it won't have the MS Hologram

With Win 7 there is an option to install using the Default Key - by not entering the key at all, and then selectng the appropriate eidtion you wish to install. You could take that route, and it would at least give you 30 days to sort out your problems with the Key.

Thursday, March 24, 2011 10:24 PM
  • No reply from the original Poster.

Issue is assumed to be resolved.

Darin MS
    Monday, March 28, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Yes this occurs during the installation.

1) Like I said before I have used the key on a clean install several times before (but not concurrent installations of course), so it mustn't be an upgrade key.

2) This is possible but I only have 1 hand written copy of the key which I am 99% sure is the one I used before. Damn I wish I got the old key of the machine before formatting.

Again, this is definitely not an upgrade disc since I used the same one for previous clean installs and not OEM since it came from my University not from a manufacturer. I checked anyway and I can't see "Upgrade" or "For installation on a new PC".

Monday, March 28, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Windows Vista and Windows 7 allow you to do a Keyless Install.  Meaning you are able to install Windows without entering a valid Product key.  In this case, Windows will automatically use it's Keyless Install key which acts as a Trial key allowing you to use Windows for 30 days before requiring a valid key to be entered.

I recommend doing a Keyless Install and once completed, click the Start button, right-click Computer and select Properties.  In the Window that comes up, click the Change Product Key button to change to your Windows Product Key.

If you you are unable to change the Product Key, please record the exact error message and post it here.

Thank you,

Darin MS
    • Proposed as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:12 PM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:12 PM
  • It is a school copy and the key may be an upgrade key.  Also if it is an MSDNAA key it may be done anyway.
    Colin Barnhorst Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on DIY with 6GB ram.
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 6:42 PM
    Answerer
  • "the_steiny" wrote in message news:43a2d76a-1bd1-43be-9987-33729b62f1c7...

Yes this occurs during the installation.

As Colin said, there may be a problem with an MSDNAA Key, as some are one-time-use only, but since you say that you've used this Key repeatedly, and the problem occurs during the installation, rather than at activation, that's unlikely to be the problem.

If it is an MSDNAA Key, then I suggest that you contact the source to see if they have a record of your Key, and what license type it is - if so, then that will  at least eliminate one of the possibilities.

--

Thursday, March 31, 2011 9:42 AM