Windows Home Server 2011 Installation RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have the below spec machine which I am havinh issues with installing Windows Home Server 2011

Medion Akoya PC8585 Desktop PC (Intel Core i5 3330 3.0GHz, 6MB RAM, 1TB HDD, WLAN, Intergrated Graphics, Windows 8)

However when I boot up from the windows home server 2011 OEM CD, my machine hangs at the "Starting Windows" screen. This is before is prompts me for a option for New Install or Upgrade options.

Can anyone suggest possible causes for this issue?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 4:21 PM

Answers

• You are trying to replace W8 with WHS2011? This may be something to do with the W8 installation being on an EFI partition.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Andy Qi Thursday, March 28, 2013 10:12 AM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Look in Disk Management and see how many partitions you have that do not have drive letters on the boot drive. Normally for a Master Boot Record (MBR) you will just have a C: drive and possibly a System Reserved partition. Also if you right click on the left pane on say "Disk 0" you may see a "Convert to MBR disk" option greyed out. If that's the case than the disk is formatted as a GPT disk and likely EFI Partition.

Do some internet searching as to how to convert to MBR which you will need for a WHS installation, ideally with no partitions on the disk.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:25 PM

All replies

• You are trying to replace W8 with WHS2011? This may be something to do with the W8 installation being on an EFI partition.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:30 PM
  • Hi Phil

Thanks for your reply.

How do I check on the desktop what partition configuration is being used?

What the to corrcet partition to be used for WHS 2001?

As I am wishing to install a new WHS 2011 system, what is the best method to change this partition and install the new software?

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 5:33 PM
  • Look in Disk Management and see how many partitions you have that do not have drive letters on the boot drive. Normally for a Master Boot Record (MBR) you will just have a C: drive and possibly a System Reserved partition. Also if you right click on the left pane on say "Disk 0" you may see a "Convert to MBR disk" option greyed out. If that's the case than the disk is formatted as a GPT disk and likely EFI Partition.

Do some internet searching as to how to convert to MBR which you will need for a WHS installation, ideally with no partitions on the disk.

Wednesday, March 20, 2013 7:25 PM