none
Broken link for MASM 6.11d patch RRS feed

• Question

• On this web page:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/228454/ml614-exe-6-14-patch-available

The link for MASM 6.11d patch download is broken.

• Moved by 宝宝徐 Monday, December 11, 2017 9:51 AM
    Saturday, December 2, 2017 9:56 PM

All replies

• No, it is not broken. The link takes you to where it is supposed to take you. Note that at the bottom it says "MASM 6.11 is no longer available". Microsoft has definitely dropped support of DOS and Windows 3.1 so you should not expect support for anything related to them.

So the next step is to search for something like dos masm 6.11d and you might find a place to download what you need.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, December 3, 2017 5:13 AM
  • No, it is not broken. The link takes you to where it is supposed to take you.

OK, but the other link on that web page for MASM 6.14 is broken:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/masm61/patch/6.14/w9xnt4/en-us/ml614.exe

Microsoft has definitely dropped support of DOS and Windows 3.1 so you should not expect support for anything related to them.

So the MSDN distribution cd''s / dvd's no longer include any of the 16 bit tool sets?

So the next step is to search for something like dos masm 6.11d 

I purchased a retail version of MASM 6.11 decades ago, and I already have both 6.11d and 6.14 updates. I was aware that other sites have copies of the patches, but I was wondering if the patches that were at Microsoft download were moved or were deleted, mostly to help others looking for the official patches. I was wondering if the patches that were at Microsoft download web site were moved or just deleted. 

Sunday, December 3, 2017 6:07 AM
  • The latest versions of the Microsoft Macro Assembler are included with Visual Studio. VS 2017 for example comes with 14.11
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 6:38 AM
  • I assume that rcgldr needs the latest version that supports DOS and 16-bit Windows. Look at the support page (the link that the original question provides); it says that the patch will make MASM version 6.11 into version 6.11d, the latest version that supports DOS and 16-bit Windows. If my assumption that that is what is needed is incorrect then I apologize for misunderstanding.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

• Edited by Simple Samples Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:17 AM clarification
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:10 AM
  • OK, but the other link on that web page for MASM 6.14 is broken:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/masm61/patch/6.14/w9xnt4/en-us/ml614.exe

It is not broken for me. It asks me what to do with the exe. I canceled it but it sure offered me the opportunity to download it.

I already have both 6.11d and 6.14 updates. 

Then I totally don't understand the problem.

Sam Hobbs
    SimpleSamples.Info

Sunday, December 3, 2017 8:15 AM
  • >>OK, but the other link on that web page for MASM 6.14 is broken:
    >>http://download.microsoft.com/download/masm61/patch/6.14/w9xnt4/en-us/ml614.exe

>It is not broken for me. It asks me what to do with the exe. I canceled it but it sure offered me the opportunity to download it.

Chrome reports an error before trying to download it (err_invalid_response). Internet Explorer asks to "open", "save", or "save as", apparently before it actually attempts to download the file. Internet Explorer reports a file size of 1.21kb, when it should be 499,935 bytes ~= 488.2kb . If I click on open, I get the error message: "404 - File or directory not found. - The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable." If I try to save it, it shows first as "ml614_exe", then if I try to change the name it shows as "ml614_exe.0b3m7es.partial", and then I get an error message "ml614_... couldn't be downloaded".  I edited the link to refer to ml611d to see what would happen

http://download.microsoft.com/download/masm61/patch/6.11d/w9xnt4/en-us/ml611d.exe

and it ended up with the same results. It's not clear to me if these links actually exist or if Internet Explorer asks to "open" or "save" or "save as" before checking to see if a link is valid.

>>I already have both 6.11d and 6.14 updates. 

>Then I totally don't understand the problem.

There was a question at another forum asking how to get the 6.11d patch, and I was trying to find a Microsoft site to download it from.

• Edited by rcgldr Sunday, December 3, 2017 10:02 AM
    Sunday, December 3, 2017 9:16 AM
  •  

The download is broken due to support life time is out of date, on the top of the page you posted:

And you could email them or call them by Telephone to get more info of this.

Regards,

Fletcher

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

• Edited by Fletch Zhou Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:40 AM
    Tuesday, December 5, 2017 9:40 AM