In WHS 2011 have mirrored my drives, Now how do I recover from a drive failure? RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed WHS 2011 and I have the OS and client backups on a 500 gig drive.  I am backing up the Server and clients to a separate 500 gig drive.

For my data I have my share folders on a 1 terra byte drive which is mirrored on another 1 terra byte drive.

I am looking for information on how to restore the server if the main drive fails as well as recovering the mirrored drives.  Also I need to know how to restore the mirror if one of those drives fail.  If someone could point me to a tutorial, walkthru, book or video I would really appreciate it.  I am not opposed to buying more hardware or software to give me data security if that is what it takes.

Data security is my most important issue.  In the original Home Server you could just do file duplication and after a failure you pull the drive that was still working and copy the files off.  This was time consuming but easy.  Now I am a little lost.

Again any help would be great.

Monday, November 14, 2011 12:32 AM

Answers

• The link appears to be working now. Personally I would not rely on mirroring for data protection - it would be safer to back up all your data in Server storage and then rotate drives off site to allow for fire, flood etc. You can have mirroring as well for high data availability.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by Smartdwarf Tuesday, November 15, 2011 10:00 PM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:10 PM
  • ... I checked the link you provided but it will not open.  It just shows the error message below.

Is there another location where this file my be obtained?

Try again, please. I just cleared my cache, then used that link, and it worked fine, so it was probably a transient error. There is no other place to get the file; Microsoft doesn't permit redistribution of most such material.

As for how to deal with the restore issues in general, sidestep it by not using Windows fault tolerance. RAID isn't a data protection technology, it's a high availability technology. Anything other than disk failure will still have the same potential to corrupt/destroy data. To protect your data at all you need regular backups, to protect it reasonably thoroughly you need to take those backups off site.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:15 PM
  • Assuming you're using the fault tolerance features built into the OS:

Configuring Disk Mirroring for Windows Server 2008 R2

If you're using a RAID HBA instead, consult the documentation.

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:56 AM

All replies

• Hi all, I may have posted to the wrong section of the forum.  I am going to repost this in the Windows Home Server 2011 section as well.  If you know the answer or can help in any way please post it here as I will check both.

Sorry for the confusion

Monday, November 14, 2011 12:41 AM
  • Assuming you're using the fault tolerance features built into the OS:

Configuring Disk Mirroring for Windows Server 2008 R2

If you're using a RAID HBA instead, consult the documentation.

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:56 AM
  • Hi Ken,

I am using the OS and have backed up my OS drive and mirrored my data drives.  Just looking for knowledge on restoring files after a harddisk failure of my OS drive or one of the drives in my mirror.  I would like to run through this procedure to actually see it work.  (I am testing my server before I load it up with data).

I checked the link you provided but it will not open.  It just shows the error message below.

Thanks

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="Off"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
        <system.web>
            <customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
        </system.web>
    </configuration>

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:51 PM
  • The link appears to be working now. Personally I would not rely on mirroring for data protection - it would be safer to back up all your data in Server storage and then rotate drives off site to allow for fire, flood etc. You can have mirroring as well for high data availability.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Monday, November 14, 2011 6:10 PM
  • ... I checked the link you provided but it will not open.  It just shows the error message below.

Try again, please. I just cleared my cache, then used that link, and it worked fine, so it was probably a transient error. There is no other place to get the file; Microsoft doesn't permit redistribution of most such material.

As for how to deal with the restore issues in general, sidestep it by not using Windows fault tolerance. RAID isn't a data protection technology, it's a high availability technology. Anything other than disk failure will still have the same potential to corrupt/destroy data. To protect your data at all you need regular backups, to protect it reasonably thoroughly you need to take those backups off site.

Monday, November 14, 2011 6:15 PM