none
Two OS stickers on same machine, can both be used separately? RRS feed

• Question

• One of my clients has purchased rebuilt IBM ThinkCentre workstations. These machines come with two XP Pro license stickers; first is from IBM (OEM), and second from the refurb provider (Refurb OEM). So here are my questions:

1 - Can I use these two licenses separately on two different machines?
    2 - I read somewhere that if I have possession of the OS license sticker, I basically own that license. Is this correct?
    3 - Can i use one of these licenses on anther non-IBM machine?
    4 - If I have windows 2000 workstations deployed, can I use one of these licenses to show compliance with my win2k license requirements?
    5 - Can I use one (or both) of these stickers to qualify for upgrade licenses to XP or Vista? If yes, would I only be able to install the upgraded OS on an IBM machine? Client has some Dell machines, which they would like to upgrade from win2k to XP or Vista (disregard h/w requirements for vista, assume vista will work on them).

Thanks
    Friday, October 9, 2009 3:21 PM

Answers

• Hello faisalsadaf,

Answers to your questions:

1.  No
    2.  No
    3.  No
    4.  No
    5.  One.  To XP:  No (there is no further XP upgrade past XP Pro).  To Vista:  Yes.  Only on that IBM machine and no other, Yes.

OEM licenses for Windows Operating Systems are valid ONLY on the computer onto which the license is first installed and these licenses are not permitted by the End User Licensing Agreement (EULA) to be moved to any other computer.  When the computer that is married to its OEM license dies, the license dies with it.

To read the XP Pro OEM EULA, click Start>Run, type winver and click OK.  In the resultant window, click on the link to read the End User Licensing Agreement. 
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Friday, October 9, 2009 4:33 PM