Problems with WHS 2011 Connecting to the Internet RRS feed

• Question

• I have just built a Windows Home Server 2011 and I am having trouble with the configuration of the remote web access.

I keep getting a message from the server saying that it is not connected to the internet, but it has an internet connection. When I try to configure the remote web access it just fails stating there is no internet connection.

I have a Net Gear Router and I suspect that the issue lies with that, but I just can't work out what to configure. I registered a WHS Domain name and when I try to use that it directs to the Router Admin Page but I cannot see any way to re-route this or manually configure the router.

Any help much appreciated.

• Edited by Stevieboy1 Thursday, May 16, 2013 9:01 AM
    Thursday, May 16, 2013 8:34 AM

Answers

• WHS2011 does not support a dual LAN configuration!

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

• Marked as answer by Stevieboy1 Monday, May 20, 2013 10:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:51 AM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 3:24 PM

All replies

• Sounds as though you really don't have an Internet connection but that can't be the case if you registered a domain name. Try opening a command prompt and checking the server ip configuration (ipconfig /all) and post  the results. Then try pinging an external website to see the result.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Thursday, May 16, 2013 11:30 AM
  • Hi Phil,

Thanks for your input. It definitely has an internet connection, I am using the browser on it to type this :-)

It is odd, I am at a bit of a loss.

Steve

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:09 PM
  • .. and the results from ipconfig /all are?

Friday, May 17, 2013 2:49 PM
  • Sorry Phil,

Was just trying something else. It appears to be an issue with the LAN adaptor, I just attached a wireless dongle and disabled the in built lan connection and it works just fine, so I am not sure what to look at next, this box has dual LAN connections so I am going to try disabling each one by one to see if that helps solve the problem.

failing that I will post up an ipconfig any how and see if that sheds any light.

Steve

Friday, May 17, 2013 3:00 PM
  • WHS2011 does not support a dual LAN configuration!

• Marked as answer by Stevieboy1 Monday, May 20, 2013 10:10 AM
    • Unmarked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by Andy Qi Tuesday, May 21, 2013 9:51 AM
    Friday, May 17, 2013 3:24 PM
  • Thanks Phil, I discovered the same on Friday.

Many thanks for your help.

Steve

Monday, May 20, 2013 10:10 AM