Microsoft Sync Framework CTP2 - Now Available for Download RRS feed

• General discussion

• I am happy to announce that the Microsoft Sync Framework CTP2 is now available for download from the Download Center.  Included in this download is CTP2 of Sync Services for ADO.NET. 

The CTP2 reflects the final API changes that will be use in the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) release and has greatly improved performance and simplification of APIs and core patterns.  

We are also in the process of creating a code sample site that will be used to store some of the latest samples that we have been working on including a Getting Started with Sync sample as well as a contact sample showing synchronization between Outlook, Vista Contacts and VCard files through the use of customized providers.  At this site you will have the opportunity to upload some of the cool samples that you have been working on and share with the rest of the community.  Keep an eye out on this blog for the final link to this new code sample site.

Liam Cavanagh

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 9:08 PM

All replies

• Hey, Liam...

I uninstalled all of the old "Sync Framework" stuff... and even uninstalled the "Entity Framework" stuff from my box... but, when I install the new build the second part fails.

CTP2SyncSetup_x86.exe installed no problem.

CTP2SyncServicesADO_x86.msi errors out... and I pulled this from the log in my temp folder... this message is also displayed on the screen with an "OK" button... "OK" causes the install to rollback.

Error 1937. An error occurred during the installation of assembly 'Microsoft.Synchronization.Data,fileVersion="2.0.1142.0",version="2.0.0.0000",culture="neutral",publicKeyToken="89845DCD8080CC91",processorArchitecture="MSIL"'. The signature or catalog could not be verified or is not valid. HRESULT: 0x80131045. assembly interface: IAssemblyCacheItem, function: Commit, component: {C74BB474-4124-4DBB-8D20-F47AA17EAB56}

Am I missing something?

Wednesday, March 5, 2008 11:34 PM
  • Hi Brian,

We have been able to reproduce this issue on one machine but for some reason we can not reproduce it on other similar machines.  We have raised this as a high priority issue with the code signing team as it seems to be related to strong naming of dll's and I will respond here once we determine what the issue is.

I appologize for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Liam

Thursday, March 6, 2008 1:06 AM
  • Brian,

We need some more info from you in order to troubleshoot:

1. What OS and service pack are you running?
    2. What version of the .NET Framework do you have installed?

Thanks and we apologize for the inconvenience.  We will look into this immediately,

Sean Kelley

Program Manager

Microsoft

Thursday, March 6, 2008 2:04 AM
  • I am running WinXP SP2... actually all possible patches applied.

I am running Visual Studio 2008... but have 1.1, 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5 frameworks on my machine.

Brian

Thursday, March 6, 2008 2:36 AM
  • Thanks, Sean.

Thursday, March 6, 2008 6:42 PM
  • We are working on getting these MSIs fixed and will have a fresh set posted today.

Sean Kelley

Thursday, March 6, 2008 7:18 PM
  • We have just completed uploading a CTP2 refresh which we believe resolves the SDK setup issues some of you have been experiencing with the install of Sync Services for ADO.NET v2.0 CTP2 for x86, x64 and IA64. 

You can download the latest build here:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=C88BA2D1-CEF3-4149-B301-9B056E7FB1E6&displaylang=en

Here in the Synchronization group we strive to provide the highest quality CTP and full release software builds.  As such, this issue is something that we truly regret and to those of you who were affected by this install issue we truly apologize for the inconvenience this may have caused you. 

If any of you have any issues or questions regarding this or any other issue, please do not hesitate to contact me at Liam.Cavanagh@microsoft.com.

Liam Cavanagh
    Program Manager - Data Replication and Synchronization

Friday, March 7, 2008 3:52 AM
  • Hey Guys,

Thanks for the newest version! It's great to know that the Sync Framework is getting ever closer to a full release. However, I'm having some difficulty obtaining information on what changed. I've installed the new version, which broke a lot of the code I'd been using. I'm going through one issue at a time fixing stuff, which hasn't been terribly painful thus far. However, is there any place we can go to see a full list of what's been added, changed, and removed? Thanks

-A Chapin

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:43 PM
  • Hi,

I appologize that I have not posted this yet, but really I didn't feel it was formatted well enough to post as a whitepaper.  I have included samples to show the old and new way as much as I could.  Hopefully you will excuse the look of this this if it gives you the information you need...

Breaking Changes in CTP2 Document

Liam

Monday, March 24, 2008 7:51 PM
  • Wow, I see what you mean about it being hard to read! Even still, having it is appreciated. At the very least, I can search through it and find what I need.

Thanks!

-A Chapin

Monday, March 24, 2008 8:03 PM
  • Hi, I installed Sql Server Compact 3.5 (includes with Sync Service for ADO.NET v1.0) a while back, I want to know if I'm to upgrade to CTP2, do I need to unstinall sqlce 3.5?? Because that seems to only way to uninstall the previous sync framwork? If so, how am I to get sqlce 3.5 back since it comes with sync service..

boy, I'm so confused Sad

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:07 PM
  • Hi,

First off, sorry for the confusion.  I will see if I can help clear up the confusion a bit. 

I expect you likely have Microsoft Sync Framework, Sync Services for ADO.NET and SQL Server Compact 3.5 installed on your computer including a number of possible sub components as defined below.

1) Microsoft Sync Framework which will show up in uninstall as:

- Microsoft Sync Framework Runtime v1.0 CTP1...

- Microsoft Sync Framework Services v1.0 CTP1...

2) Sync Services for ADO.NET which will show up in uninstall as:

- Microsoft Sync Services for ADO.NET v2.0 ...

3) SQL Server Compact 3.5 which will show up in uninstall as:

- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 Design Tools

- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 ENU

- Microsoft SQL Server Compact 3.5 for Devices ENU

To get to CTP2 you will need to uninstall any of the components you have from #1 and #2, meaning you should not have to uninstall and #3 SQL Server Compact components. 

I realized that this is a bit painful to have to uninstall old components before installing newer components, and we definitely want to fix this for the official release. 

In any case, I hope that clears up some confusiong for you and please let me know if you have any issues with this.

Thanks,

Liam

Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:20 PM
  • Hi, thank you so much, that does clear it up admirably. I'm scenario #3.
    Tuesday, April 8, 2008 4:57 PM