none
VS2015 - Solutions from VS2012 will not compile RRS feed

• Question

• I have installed VS2015 on a Windows 10 box.

I am unable to build solutions/projects that I was using with VS2012.

I am getting a CS0234 "The type or namespace name 'AspNet' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft' (are you missing an assembly reference?)"

Error occurs on this line...

using Microsoft.AspNet.Membership.OpenAuth;

This is an ASP.net 4.5 Forms project.  Everything compiled/built fine in VS2012.  What am I missing here?

Thanks,

Scott

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 2:38 PM

All replies

• Ok, I figured out what is causing it.  It cannot find my packages directory.

It is looking in a completely different location.  How can I change where Visual Studio looks for my package directory for a specirfic solution?

Tuesday, February 13, 2018 9:14 PM
  • Hi,

Welcome to MSDN forum.

>>CS0234 "The type or namespace name 'AspNet' does not exist in the namespace 'Microsoft'

Go to Tools -> NuGet Package Manager -> Manage NuGet Packages for Solution.

Click on the Online Tab.

Search for Microsoft.AspNet.Membership.OpenAuth.

Install this package.

Rebuild Solution.

OR:

Go to Tools -> NuGet Package Manager -> Package Manager Console

Install-Package Microsoft.AspNet.Membership.OpenAuth                 

Besides, you can also have a look at the thread:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/16808438/the-type-or-namespace-name-aspnet-does-not-exist-in-the-namespace-microsoft

Best regards,

Joyce

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 5:42 AM
  • Yes, I tried this.  It did not work.

I opened the Nuget Package Manager and it showed that none of my packages were installed.  I installed all of them.  I am still having the same issue.

This is looking to be a TFS issue.  If I restore my solution and files from backup I can build with no issues.  However, I am trying to connect to our TFS server and when I map the folder and Get all files I now get build errors.

Some more research if I map my directory to the exact same directory that i used on my previous dev box everything works fine.  However, when I change the mapping it loses the 'connection' to tha packages folder.  Not sure if it matters but the .sln file was never under version control.

Any ideas on how to map to a different folder on TFS and make this work, or alternatively point my .sln to a specific packages folder?

Wednesday, February 14, 2018 3:48 PM
  • Hi friend,

Thank you for your detail information.

Now it seems like your issue is about the TFS and our forum is to discuss the VS IDE, please redirect to this appropriate forum: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/tfs and start a new thread with 'tfs' tag for a more professional support, thank you for your understanding.

Best regards,

Sara

MSDN Community Support Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com

Thursday, February 15, 2018 2:51 PM
  • Hi scott.Metzger,

Maybe you could think about the .NET Framework version in your local and your server, they need to use the matching/appropriate version.

Best Regards,

Jack

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 21, 2018 9:33 AM