Add a dropdown field to the task view that determines work hours for that task. RRS feed

• Question

• I'm very new to MSProject.  I'm entering project data for the design, review, implementation, testing and acceptance of many subroutines.  The subroutines can be categorized into an enumeration of types. 1 - direct sub , easy, 2 - direct sub, average, 3 - direct sub complex, 4 - supervisory sub easy, 5 - supervisory sub average, 6 subervisory sub complex.

I would like to create a dropdown field that once the category has been selected, the work hours are locked.  For Example if I have 50 "direct sub, easy", I want to be able to change the work hours assocated with "direct sub, easy" in only one place and have all "50 direct sub, easy" tasks automatically use the new work hours.

Is there a way to do this in MSProject?

Tuesday, January 13, 2015 11:08 PM

Answers

• Denis,

Okay, let's revisit the approach. If you have six defined categories and you want to select from one of those categories for each task, then you need to create a custom field with a lookup table. Let's use the Text1 field.

1. First add the Text1 field as a column in the view, I assume you're using the Gantt Chart view

2. Select the heading of that column and go to: Project/Properties group/Custom Fields

3. That will open the Custom Fields window with Text1 already pre-selected. Hit the "Lookup" button

4. In the Edit Lookup Table window, enter each of your 6 categories. You can give each a number with a description (e.g. 1 - direct sub, easy), or just put the description in the Value field (e.g. direct sub, easy) with nothing in the description.

5. Hit close

Now when you select the Text1 field for any task, the lookup list will appear allowing you to chose of the the entries. Now you can create a filter as I suggested before and go through the process of setting the work value for all like category tasks.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Denis Backer Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:37 PM

All replies

• Denis,

Is there a way to do that in Project? Yes. Is it a one step process? Maybe.

One method you can use is to create a filter for each of the categories such that applying the filter will display only those category tasks. Then enter the work hours for the first task in the filtered list and use fill down to quickly populate the work in all other tasks of that category.

Another method, which is really just an extension of the first method, is to automate the above with a macro.

But, I'd say the first method is your best bet. It's simple and straightforward.

Hope this helps.

John

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:26 AM
  • Please excuse my ignorance.  Before I can do what you have stated, I need to know how to add a field to a task that is tied to a custom dropdown list.  For example, the "resource names" field on a task is tied to a dropdown.

How do I

1 - create a dropdown list?

2 - link that dropdown list to either a new field that I create for tasks or tie it to a task field that I'm not yet using. 

Wednesday, January 14, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Denis,

Okay, let's revisit the approach. If you have six defined categories and you want to select from one of those categories for each task, then you need to create a custom field with a lookup table. Let's use the Text1 field.

1. First add the Text1 field as a column in the view, I assume you're using the Gantt Chart view

2. Select the heading of that column and go to: Project/Properties group/Custom Fields

3. That will open the Custom Fields window with Text1 already pre-selected. Hit the "Lookup" button

4. In the Edit Lookup Table window, enter each of your 6 categories. You can give each a number with a description (e.g. 1 - direct sub, easy), or just put the description in the Value field (e.g. direct sub, easy) with nothing in the description.

5. Hit close

Now when you select the Text1 field for any task, the lookup list will appear allowing you to chose of the the entries. Now you can create a filter as I suggested before and go through the process of setting the work value for all like category tasks.

Hope this helps.

John

• Marked as answer by Denis Backer Wednesday, January 14, 2015 6:28 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2015 3:37 PM