Media Streaming Devices RRS feed

• Question

•  

I know that other threads have discussed various streaming options, but I wanted to start a thread that put it all together.

I am interested in purchasing either a Net Gear EVA8000 or a Dlink DSM-510 (the DSM-750 apparently is comming out soon).

Has anyone purchased either of these 2 devices (or others) and had good results with the server. My goal is to eventually get a box for each tv in the house and have the server act as a PVR.

Further, I am going to have to buy a Tuner Card. I would like to get a dual HD tuner card. Does it matter if I get an ethernet external box, a USB box or a PCI card.

The EVA8000 says that it can play and record TV, but I dont think that the Dlink products can.

I have also tried TVersity with the 360 but the problem that I have with that software is that I can see the difference in quality after the transcoding and I just cant be happy with seeing low quality resolution.

The specs for my server are on my signature, my router is a Dlink DIR-655. I will be running wired on Cat5 cable.

I am not running any Media Center PC's currently, however, I can if this becomes a necessity.

Thanks for any tips.

Dawg.

Friday, August 17, 2007 7:10 AM

Answers

• See the results of this search (for eva8000). I'm sure you'll find similar results for the DLink units.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 12:07 PM

All replies

• See the results of this search (for eva8000). I'm sure you'll find similar results for the DLink units.
    Friday, August 17, 2007 12:07 PM
  • The EVA rocks - the firmware's slightly buggy and is prone to the odd fit, but it's great for streaming directly from the home server to the TV. I have mine connected up with a Netgear Powerline Ethernet kit http://www.netgear.com/Products/PowerlineNetworking/PowerlineEthernetAdapters/HDXB101.aspx and it's very stable, playing as many file formats as I can throw at it.

Haven't tried recording on it though....

One issue with the EVA is that you have to open up full access for the Guest account on WHS at the moment (which you shouldn't have to do with Windows Media Connect devices) - it's been bugged, so fingers crossed a fix pops out sometime.

Hope that helps,

Terry

Friday, August 17, 2007 12:49 PM
  • I have an EAV as well.  I have a wide variety of media formats and it doesn't always handle the one's it's supposed to.  Make sure you understand the formats it is supposed to handle.  It will work for the majority.  There are exceptions.  But that goes for about any media device. I would also read the forum for the player:

http://forum1.netgear.com/forumdisplay.php?f=85

Aside from that, it is a very good device.  It will get better with some upgrades, if Netgear pays attentions to the suggestions and comments given to them.  If I had a choice, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another EVA, if I needed another.  So don't take my comment as a negative.

I also have a Mivx 760HD, although it is not connected to my server.  For a portable, it's a decent device with good output.  I transfer from the server to the Mivx when I go on the road, or can at least. 

Friday, August 17, 2007 11:14 PM