Windows Live Writer Wish List RRS feed

• General discussion

• To make it easier for the Writer team, I thought it would be a good idea to start a Wish List thread (hopefully a moderator can make it a sticky thread) and it then keeps all the ideas in one place that the team can easily collate :)
    SL - Windows Live Platform MVP
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 1:45 PM

All replies

• I would like to have a hot key combo so that I can hit something like shift + ctrl + enter and then what this would do is create a line break after an image but in the HTML it would not put any white space so that each tag would be right next to each other, with no spaces between them.

Main reason for this is so that there aren't any white spaces between the images if I want it to be like that.

Also would like it so that the actual WYSIWYG editor doesn't change the actual HTML when I go from HTML to WYSIWYG.

Right now, if I edit the HTML with the HTML editor, and then go back to the WYSIWYG editor, it changes everything I changed with the HTML editor.
    Saturday, June 28, 2008 11:50 PM
  • Two more requests:

1. A way to save separate drafts of the same post without having to publish the draft to the weblog and finish editing it there (which kind of defeats the purpose of WLW). Currently, I can only save a draft to one blog. If I make minor changes to it, I lose the previous draft even if I save it to a different blog. In other words, I can't save Post 1 and Post 1a, 1b, 1c, and 1d. WLW will only save it as one of the posts and not all five.

2. Captions/cutlines for photos.

Thanks. WLW is easily the best Microsoft product I have ever used, and I go back to MS-DOS and my 8086/8088 PC.

Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:16 PM
  • Big on my wish list is XHTML compatability.  The one that bites me at the moment is pictures using the "align" tag.  Would be great if LW used the style attribute for both size and position along with the border styles.

Rocky Moore - http://www.RockyMoore.com/TheCoder/ ~ http://www.SilverlightCity.com
    Monday, June 30, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Good idea for a wishlist.
    My top wish mentioned elsewhere is for the ability to save posts anywhere not just as drafts on a blog.
    For example to our skydrive or office workspace account. Heck, it should be able to even work with google docs and zoho.

Paisano®
    Saturday, July 26, 2008 2:31 PM
  • One simple request:

A more standardized toolbar in the WYSIWYG editor with the usual standard buttons. Much like you see in in the comment "editor" I wrote this comment with. At least I would love to have the 3 standard alignment buttons you find in everything from an email client like Outlook Express or Thunderbird or even other local blog writing software such as "Raven", "BlogDesk" and "ScribeFire". Having to right click and chose the "Align" sub-menu or go to "Format/Align" (sub-menu) has always been irritating. I still keep heading for the toolbar for this.

I've been using and testing WLW since the very first builds and I wouldn't be without it but standardizing the toolbar really needs to be done.
    Saturday, August 2, 2008 11:25 PM
  • Myspace support. a lot use my space responsibility and it would be great for those who do use it the mature way to have support for blog posting.  I much rather use live writer instead of their crappy outdated blog tools to post my blogs. 
    Monday, August 11, 2008 2:53 AM
  • More than anything, I would love to see an expanded toolbar.  It takes too many clicks to get into the formatting functions for simple actions like formatting the alignment of text.  For me, it would be a huge help to have those functions available in the toolbar.

Still, I love the program, and understand it is a work in progress.
    Monday, August 11, 2008 4:08 PM
  • Please replace those Font-Tags & co. with CSS in a span-Tag - it's annoying a webpage gets XHTML invalid if I don't change it everytime manual.

But apart from that: Great product! :)
    Thursday, August 28, 2008 5:12 PM
  • Hi, I would like to be able to change the filename of any picture I just put on an article created on Windows Live Write, exactly as easy as changing the title field...

Do you think you could you implement this feature ?

ronan / Business Garden & Marketing Paradise
    Friday, August 29, 2008 3:22 PM
  • Till now the the long-for image hosting feature to a free hosting site still not provided. Blogger has already blocked the automatic hosting images to its server through WLW, which should also has its own space for image hosting for blog webmasters.

Other features working fine. Thanks the WLW team.

www.adultloo.info
    Monday, September 1, 2008 4:23 PM
  • a simple wish list:

1. that it really works with Blogger (via FTP option)

2. back up of blog settings (in case of system reformat, etc)

3. blog back up

4. batch edit on posts (certain attributes)

overall, it's a great free product (while it worked)
    and great support as well... thanks! JOE

Jimmy
    Monday, September 8, 2008 3:30 PM
  • It would be great if we can edit multiple posts... without save them and reopen the others... puttin them in different tabs and not in different processes... it's an idea...

Tuesday, September 9, 2008 6:22 PM
  • Hi from France !

I really love Writer, it's very usefull, and i use it everyday !
    My wish list would be :

• Allow editing several pages at the same time in just one instance of application, for example tabs to edit multiple documents....
    • Allow upload of files directy to the blog (if it exists, sorry could not find it...) because each time i want to upload a file to the server (pdf, PPT, ...) i have to use an FTP client (i run Wordpress blog)
    • Add more options to the formatting toolbar such as alignment, font color
    • Support the CSS classes that are defined in a css file on the blog, for example, you could import the css classes that are defined in a file that could be nammed "livewriter_params.css" and let us choose the class in a combo... (not sure i am clear...)

that's all, the application rocks !

thank you all

Friday, September 12, 2008 7:30 AM
  • Here's a real simply wishlist item:  Versioned names.

Here's a great example of why:

Sept 5th: Live Writer Beta 3 available! (http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D85741BB5E0BE8AA!1421.entry)
    Nov 27th: Beta3 to final done via windows update! (http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D85741BB5E0BE8AA!1449.entry)
    June 2nd: Live Writer Tech Preview available! (wait, didn't it just go final??) (http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D85741BB5E0BE8AA!1449.entry)
    Today: Live Writer Beta! (wait, uhm, hasn't it been final? and available via windows update?) (http://windowslivewriter.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!D85741BB5E0BE8AA!1449.entry)

Very confusing if you only check in to the site occasionally.

And why is the beta installer forcing me to update another app to a beta? (I'm ok with the beta, not the forced choice.)
    Wednesday, September 17, 2008 10:10 PM
  • The Paisano said:

Good idea for a wishlist.
    My top wish mentioned elsewhere is for the ability to save posts anywhere not just as drafts on a blog.
    For example to our skydrive or office workspace account. Heck, it should be able to even work with google docs and zoho.

Paisano®

Yes, I use BlogJet and dismissed LiveWriter because I cant save to a specified folder. The Default logon dependent folder is not practical as syncing several authoring locations on machines with different logons (using LiveMesh)
    - Robin
    Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:48 AM
  • My wish is that I can add a video straight into Windows Live Writer from Windows Media Player or a file on my computer in just the same way that I can add a photo. Same wish for music files as well. I don't want have to use a video hosting site in between. Maybe impossible I know, but that's my wish.
    Saturday, October 11, 2008 8:57 AM
  • Dragging and dropping pictures is great, but what about pdf files, word docs, excel spreadsheets, video files, and audio files? I want to be able to post these things and allow my site visitors to have access to them without links to some other location. If I reference a document or audio file, then why can't I simply include it? If a placeholder is important, and it is, then give us a default, but also allow us to use our own graphic to represent say a PDF file if we want to. Perhaps we can place such graphics in a WLW folder designated for such things.

Similarly, if I create a simple table in an excel spreadsheet, then I would like to be able to provide a range name and have the information appear in WLW as a table formatted reasonably close to the excel file. This would be great for schedules and sports scores, which are often entered into a spreadsheet and I am asked to post the information. I am thinking that I woul like to establish a link to a file with a range name identified and every time that I click on the connection in WLW, the data would be inserted into whatever post I am working on without having to identify the file and range name each time that I want to update from the spreadsheet.

Thanks for listening, it would be nice if the WLW writers would give feedback in this forum. There is a product site that I visit from time to time that allows registered product users to vote on features to be added, those with the most votes are given priority in subsequent releases.
    dfarrer
    Monday, October 13, 2008 11:40 PM
  •  
    Technogranma said:

My wish is that I can add a video straight into Windows Live Writer from Windows Media Player or a file on my computer in just the same way that I can add a photo. Same wish for music files as well. I don't want have to use a video hosting site in between. Maybe impossible I know, but that's my wish.

I agree completely. My blog is hosted on my own server, so it would be great if I could just embed something directly rather than rely on an intermediate site.

dfarrer said:

Dragging and dropping pictures is great, but what about pdf files, word docs, excel spreadsheets, video files, and audio files? I want to be able to post these things and allow my site visitors to have access to them without links to some other location. If I reference a document or audio file, then why can't I simply include it? If a placeholder is important, and it is, then give us a default, but also allow us to use our own graphic to represent say a PDF file if we want to. Perhaps we can place such graphics in a WLW folder designated for such things.

I would be thrilled to upload more than just images, etc. On my blog, it would be helpful if I could publish ANY file type including documents and program installers.

Gianvito said:

It would be great if we can edit multiple posts... without save them and reopen the others... puttin them in different tabs and not in different processes... it's an idea...

SB33 said:

My wish list would be :

• Allow editing several pages at the same time in just one instance of application, for example tabs to edit multiple documents....
    • Support the CSS classes that are defined in a css file on the blog, for example, you could import the css classes that are defined in a file that could be nammed "livewriter_params.css" and let us choose the class in a combo... (not sure i am clear...)
    OK, for the multiple windows issue... you can already do this in Tools ... Options ... select "Open a new window for each post" ... click OK.

As for the blog template CSS styles--- YES!! That would be an excellent feature and would probably satisfy a lot of gripes on the CSS styles. I know that on my blog I already had some styles defined for photos, but I haven't been able to use them with Live Writer.

Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:02 PM
  • Da Jimmy said:

a simple wish list:

2. back up of blog settings (in case of system reformat, etc)

3. blog back up

The backup features would be nice, however, I suspect that has more to do with what options are available in the respective blog API's. If WordPress, for example, doesn't support that feature, it's never going to happen, even if the Live Writer team wants it to happen.
    Tuesday, October 14, 2008 6:06 PM
  • How about adding the Windows "Ribbon" interface to Live writer?  This seems to be happening on Windows 7 anyway so I would think this would be a natural and easy to implement change to this app.
    Friday, October 17, 2008 5:09 PM
  • Another feature request I have is the implement a Dictionary and thesaurus into the product.  Maybe it would use Encarta online, or even better the built in one in Office 2007 to allow offline work.
    • Edited by Joiseystud Friday, October 17, 2008 5:12 PM
    Friday, October 17, 2008 5:11 PM
  • I wish I could just open an old blogpost by URL so that i could re-edit it. Yesterday I needed to correct and update a Blogger post from 2005, and there wasn't any way to do that in WLW except by previewing the last 500+ headers.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 4:00 AM
  • Support for Custom Fields in Movable Type. Now that MT 4.2. Pro allows non-corporate bloggers to use them, without paying, I think it would be a great feature to add to Live Writer.
    Sunday, October 19, 2008 3:33 PM
  • I'd really like to see valid markup for people that have opted for the XHTML option. align="center" = yuck.
    Rich
    Sunday, November 16, 2008 11:48 PM