Windows XP Pro SP2 Not Valid I have included the diagnostics RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased my computer used and saw on my computer that it had Windows XP Professional sp2. I have had this computer for almost 2 years with not a glich in the operating system. But, 2 weeks ago everything changed. I did what I do every day and thats sign on and do my thing. This time I received a warning that " I may be a victim of software conterfeiting. This copy of Windows did not pass genuine Windows validation". And of course, I never received the CD for the Professional program. So through all my investigating this is what I have found out so far: the product key code was probably used in a large business and updates are no longer available (whatever that means). Now my original computer, EMachines T2958 came with Windows XP Home Addition but I do not have a CD for that either. Although I do have a recovery DVD for Emachines I can't find anything showing Windows XP Home. I have spoken to Customer Support at Emachines (they won't even give me the time of day, because I didn't purchase their computer from them and it's a 2004, and they just can't supply me with a recovery CD blah...blah blah) they were useless.  I have spoken to 3 different Customer Service professionals and 3 Technical Assistants within Microsoft Company. They are trying to help me, but I don't think they understand what I want to do. I just want to remove the Windows XP Pro and hopefully still have the Windows XP Home edition still installed on my computer. Is this a possible solution? Or do I have to actually buy new software?

Thanks for your time and I look forward to hearing from you

Grandma BB

Below is the copy of the diagnostics that I ran

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GQVVC-MKQYG-HP7YB
    Windows Product Key Hash: cVgs9lIYzD4rDbqoG0EbzgkUvKM=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-645-9687363-23517
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro
    ID: {79C7F539-9EA2-4CF2-8461-8952ACA15D07}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.40.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-230-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 8
    File Exists: Yes
    Version: 1.9.40.0
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 77F760FE-153-80070002_7E90FEE8-175-80070002_025D1FF3-230-1

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{79C7F539-9EA2-4CF2-8461-8952ACA15D07}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HP7YB</PKey><PID>55274-645-9687363-23517</PID><PIDType>1</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1123561945-1715567821-725345543</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>To Be Filled By O.E.M. by More String</Manufacturer><Model>To Be Filled By O.E.M.</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1011.002</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="3"/><Date>20040308000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>0C8033E701846062</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Central Standard Time(GMT-06:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><GANotification><File Name="WgaTray.exe" Version="1.9.40.0"/><File Name="WgaLogon.dll" Version="1.9.40.0"/></GANotification></MachineData>   <Software><Office><Result>114</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>114</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>59D1605114E3500</Val><Hash>vfZmaSmFPIYrLWTcZSZErUQg+Fo=</Hash><Pid>73931-640-0000106-57931</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="114"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="114"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Licensing Data-->
    N/A

HWID Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    BIOS string matches: yes
    Marker string from BIOS: 14D45:GENUINE C&C INC
    Marker string from OEMBIOS.DAT: N/A, hr = 0x80004005

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    N/A

Grandma BB
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 1:01 PM

Answers

• Hello Grandma BB,

Please refer to this section of the mgadiag report you posted:

WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Invalid Product Key
    Validation Code: 8

Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-GQVVC-MKQYG-HP7YB
    Windows Product Key Hash: cVgs9lIYzD4rDbqoG0EbzgkUvKM=
    Windows Product ID: 55274-645-9687363-23517
    Windows Product ID Type: 1
    Windows License Type: Volume
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.2.0.pro

Right now, your computer has a Volume Licensing (VL) edition of XP Pro installed (Line 10), and that installation was done with an invalid Volume Licensing Key (VLK) (Line 2).  VLKs are invalidated by Microsoft at the report of the original keyholder for such reasons as the key was lost, stolen, compromised, or misused.  Also, MS may have invalidated the key if it was generated by a non-MS Key Generator program, which would seem to be your situation.

You can check this for yourself by entering the partial product key GQVVC-MKQYG-HP7YB into a search engine.  There were over 13 pages of hits with this partial product key, meaning that it is a widely used nongenuine product key.

Firthmore, the computer has a Volume Licensing edition of XP Pro installed.  As a rule, VL editions of XP should not be sold to individual consumers.  Businesses, schools and gov'ts normally use VL editions for flexibility in installing many computers.  Also, Volume Licenses for Windows XP are Upgrade licenses ONLY and cannot be used as the original or base license for a new computer.

This is why you were seeing the "software counterfeiting" messages on your computer, because the current installation of XP is an unauthorized installation.

Next, see this extract of thr mgadiag report regarding Office:

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 114 Blocked VLK 2
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 114 Blocked VLK 2
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.7.111.0

This is telling us that your Office 2003 Professional installation is showing as Nongenuine (Office status=114 means nongenuine).  In much the same way as Windows, your Office installation was done with a Volume Licensing edition of Office and was installed with a widely pirated product key. 

Next, look on the computer's case or in the materials that came with your computer or your retail purchase of Windows to see if you have a Certificate of Authenticity (CoA).  If you have one, tell us about the CoA.  Tell us:

1.  What edition of Windows XP is it for, Home, Pro, or Media Center, or for another verison of Windows?

2.  Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3.  Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4.  DO NOT post the full Product Key that may be printed on the CoA.

Not sure what to look for?  Click here:  http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

You did mention that you did not receive any discs with this computer purchased used.  If the computer does not have a CoA affixed to it, and you don't have a CoA for XP on any retail packaging (it's on the retail package's boxtop), then you do not have a license to use Windows.  Your options for resolution include:

1.  Puchasing a full retail copy of XP at your local store or trusted major online retailer.

2.  Purchasing an OEM copy if XP at your local store or trusted major online retailer.

3.  Participating in the Genuine Windows Offer to buy a copy of XP directly from Microsoft.

4.  Deleting XP and using a different Operating System on the computer, such as Linux.

You mentioned that you previously had an eMachines computer that came with Windows XP Home on a Recovery disc.  Please understand that the license to use the XP Home that came on the eMachines computer is an OEM license and therefore is valid ONLY on the eMachines computer and is not permitted to be used on any other computer.  So, you will not be able to use the XP Home from the eMachines on this used computer.

Likewise, if you don't have a CoA for Office either on a CD envelope or on a retail package boxtop, then you don't have a license to use Office.  Your options for resolution include:

1.  Puchasing a full retail copy of Microsoft Office at your local store or trusted major online retailer.

2.  Purchasing an OEM copy of Microsoft Office at your local store or trusted major online retailer.

3.  Participating in the Genuine Office Offer to buy a copy of Office 2007 directly from Microsoft.

4.  Deleting Office XP and using a alternate productivity solution.

For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Thursday, August 13, 2009 3:22 PM